What to Wear: Courtside at a Basketball Game
Whether you're a Lakers, Mavericks, or newly relocated Brooklyn Nets fan, Oct. 30th marks the start of basketball season. Aside from a perfect option for date night (or date-hunting), basketball games have also become prime for celebrity-spotting. Jessica Alba and Cash Warren are known to sit courtside, as is part-owner of the Nets Jay-Z and his lady Beyonce. So pull out your most stylish sporty duds for the next home team matchup.
Taking cues from Alba's casual yet feminine game style (slouchy boyfriend sweaters, skinny jeans, and natural makeup) and Beyonce's all-out glam (bold accessories like big gold hoops, knit berets, and great heels), we came up with a wearable mix. To keep things sleek and urban, we opted for black on black, with these skinny straight black jeans at Uniqlo ($39.90) that have a ton of stretch for long-term sitting. On top, this black silk top with bobcat print brings out your wild side ($79.90). For a touch of height without going overboard (we don't all have private black cars to zoom around in) go for these black on black wedge sneakers ($149 by Steve Madden) that will give you a flattering lift. On cooler nights, slip on this chunky knit cap ($48) and add a few layers, like this light gray cashmere cardigan ($140), a closet classic, under an athletics-inspired navy and black varsity jacket ($259.99). Bring the look together with a few choice accessories. Root for your team with a logo bracelet ($6 for the Brooklyn Nets), and this being a game of hoops, hoop earrings seem appropriate. This new style by Michael Kors has a handsome buckle detail ($85). And though the new Nets colors are black and white, add a burst of bright pink and coral via this colorblock shoulder bag, which will stand out courtside ($395).
Jay-Z's style is pretty snazzy and this t-shirt with a "Hello Brooklyn" slogan ($35) captures his hip yet discreet spirit. Layer a thermal top ($115) underneath for warmth and a cool '90s era look. Below the belt, specifically this woven suede belt that can be dressed up or down ($110), slip on a pair of classic blue jeans. This pair by A.P.C. is made of clean, stiff denim that will break-in nicely over time.
Lastly, baseball caps have been a hot accessory on and off the runway. So despite it being a different sport all together, snag this black and white one ($32 at the Nets store) to root for your team or as a casual weekend accessory.
What to Do
A bounty of sport travel websites has popped up in recent years, which offer easy hotel-air-ticket packages for NBA games. Premiere Sports Travel, for example, offers packages around regular season games, and also, for early birds, the NBA All-Star Weekend and playoff Finals. Usually, the packages are customizable, though prices can quickly skyrocket. For those living outside the US, Thomson Travel is a good bet and is experienced at putting together packages that include a few days extra in your city and state of choice.
Of course, you can also book a la carte, and it's often worth it to ask local hotels for any home team fan discounts. For one, Omni Hotel of the CNN Center offers an Atlantic Hawks fan special, which doesn't include tickets but does bump up your accommodations a bit. College teams are fair game as well. Certain hotels have partnerships with the schools like the Courtyard by Marriott in Chapel Hill, NC with the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. Others offer more promotional packages: The River Inn in Washington, DC is featuring a discounted rate plus an autographed Hoyas basketball as souvenir.
Photo credits: Women: Top Far Left: theOutnet.com; Bottom Far Left: Kazuhiro Ohashi/UNIQLO CO., LTD.; Top Left: Lord & Taylor; Bottom Left: SCOOP NYC; Center: ZARA; Top Right: Neiman Marcus; Top Far Right: Topshop.com; Bottom Right: Nordstrom, Inc.; Bottom Far Right: MainGate, Inc. Men: Top Left: Patagonia, Inc.; Bottom Left: MainGate, Inc.; Center Top: A.P.C. Store; Center Bottom: Nike, Inc.; Top Right: Nordstrom, Inc.; Bottom Far Right: MainGate, Inc.; Bottom Right: MRPORTER.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $110 & up -- Caribbean Travel Deals in Tobago up to 40% OffTobago Division of Tourism and Transportation
- $1006 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star Casino Resort Vacation w/AirfareApple Vacations
- $109 & up -- Montreal: Downtown 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 45%Le Centre Sheraton Montreal
- $899 -- Riviera Maya 7-Night All-Incl. Beachfront VacationApple Vacations
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $898 & up -- Costa Rica 6-Nights w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com