What to Wear: Nashville
There's been a lot going on in Nashville lately, like the Grammys Nominations Concert, hosted by famous resident Taylor Swift and L.L. Cool J, at the Bridgestone Arena last week. It doesn't hurt to have a hot TV show bearing the city's name— Connie Britton and Hayden Pannetiere's "Nashville" on ABC. But the Music City offers more than just country stars and melodies, indie band Kings of Leon and rapper Young Buck also call it home and the scene is bustling with up-and-coming restaurants and independent boutiques. Here are some packing ideas for a winter weekend in this cool city.
With an indie meets artsy spirit, Nashville style is also softened up with a dose of Southern charm. Take Taylor Swift's style as inspiration. She veers toward girly, nipped-waist frocks and feminine accents like cat pins for jeans days. In that spirit, try these blush kitten flats with Marc by Marc Jacobs ($235.58). From there, slip on a pair of slim jeans in a vintage-y wash ($80 by Topshop) and a striped sweater in pink and beige ($75 by Madewell). For cooler days, layer a gingham shirt underneath that nods to country with its pattern but feels new in hot pink ($69.50 by J.Crew). To spice up this sweet look, add these librarian eyeglass frames in blue marblewood ($95 by Warby Parker) and this bamboo necklace by Meshu ($75) which brings about the best of technology and craft: the pattern is made by mapping where you've been. (Tip: it's also a good excuse to plan a scenic drive down the 78-mile Antebellum trail from Nashville to Mount Pleasant loaded with Civil War history and eye-popping mansions.)
Dress with the holidays in mind with this gold fit-and-flare frock ($84.99). This being the season for sparkle, go for bling on the tips of your pumps with these Cinderella-blue satin pumps ($168). Inject a vintage twist to your Nashville fairy tale (set at the Grand Ole Opry of course) with this faux fur cropped coat ($219). A pearly or jeweled necklace could work or opt instead for this delicate statement brooch ($110). To add texture to the evening outfit, this marabou feather clutch gives the look a glamorous '20s vibe ($135).
Nashville being a classic American city, heritage attire seems appropriate, like this field coat by old school brand Woolrich in green plaid ($229). Pair it with a slouchy long-sleeve Henley ($74 by LnA), which makes for stylish yet casual daywear. Wear with these workman pants (a collaboration between Carhartt and French label A.P.C.) in a mustard khaki ($175). Follow through on the outdoorsy outfit with a suede lace-up boot ($119.99) and wintry wool woodsman cap ($39.95). Country dandies can add this leather braided bracelet ($89) for the perfect finishing note.
Under the Southern Stars
Channel the holiday spirit by tying on a nifty tie at night. It's probably dressier than you would usually do in laidback Nashville, but tis' the season for knit patterned cravats like this style by J. Crew ($59.50). Can't go wrong with a blues theme: button-up this blue and white striped shirt that's also relaxed enough for day ($135) and rugged jeans by RRL ($229.99 in straight cut). Cerulean hues tend to play up rustic browns as in this wool toggle overcoat ($99.99), pull-on Frye boots ($298), and cognac leather and knit gloves for chilly nights ($195).
What to Do
Nashville livens up around the holidays. For those with kids, there's the Nashville ballet, which performs the Nutcracker through Dec. 23 at TPAC's Jackson Hall. Cheekwood Art & Gardens is also worth checking out with little ones in tow. The venue offers activities like gingerbread house lessons and Santa Saturdays featuring live reindeer.
For more grown-up fare, check out the rollicking bar scene. Dive bar aficionados will like 3 Crow Bar in the East end. (Fair warning: better to stick to drinks; eats are of the greasy college variety).
Looking for the foodie scene? The Silly Goose could hold its own in any major metropolis. The menu sources local fare like Gulf shrimp and snapper and mixes it with modern touches like fennel pollen and applewood bacon jam garnishes. There is also an excellent cast iron flank steak, served with roasted figs and chimichurri sauce.
Photo credits: Women: Day: top left, meshu; bottom left, Madewell Inc; top center, J.CREW; middle center, Warby Parker; bottom center, farfetch.com ; right, Topshop. Night: left, ModCloth.com; top center, Nordstrom, Inc.; middle center, Ann Taylor; bottom center, Anthropologie; right, Nordstrom, Inc. Men: Day: top left, L.L.Bean; bottom left, SINGER22; top center, Macys.com, Inc; bottom center, A.P.C.; top right, Woolrich, Inc.; bottom right, Eddie Bauer LLC. Night: top left, MR PORTER; bottom left, A.P.C.; center left, Ralph Lauren Media LLC; top center right, J.CREW; bottom center right, Frye; right, Sears Brands, LLC.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Puerto Plata Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $379 & up -- Exotic Canary Islands & Morocco Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $359 & up -- Ireland Coastal Tours & Trips, Save up to $700Ireland
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $1099 & up -- Ireland: 5-Star Villa Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $329 & up -- Western Caribbean 7-Nt. Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line