What to Wear: Home for the Holidays
Draft up that movie list and stock up on winter pieces, because it's that time of the year when turkey is getting stuffed, chestnuts are roasting, and the mood is all about family. If you're headed home for the holidays this season, here are the top stylish packing ideas to keep things merry.
Thank goodness for a bit of Lycra, for along with gut-busting Thanksgiving fare, comes a tighter waistline. Why fight it? Instead, invest in slimming denim leggings like this well-tailored pair by Rag & Bone in a dark blue ($187). This particular style with ankle zips also pairs well with ballet flats come spring. On top, try a hint of sparkle with this Lurex update on the white tee by Reiss ($75, was $155). Add this cozy cardigan sweater in a season-appropriate Fair Isle print ($69.95 at American Eagle) with matching pink socks ($6.95). Black leather ankle boots ($153.30, was $219) round out the casual look with a moderate and sturdy heel for an easy post-feast stroll. For colder climes, add a few key winter pieces like these sweet shearling gloves with bow detail by Ugg ($160) or a handsome wool coat, like this military-inspired style by DKNY with smart brass buttons, in midnight blue ($247.80). Finally, this beige and black colorblock bag adds punch to heaps of outfits with its neutral good looks ($258 at J. Crew).
With temperatures dipping, guys should also layer up, and its tough to go wrong with comfy flannel when reimagined in a cheerful bright blue plaid shirt ($79.50). Below, slim straight jeans are a no-brainer ($115). Then, slip on a gray shawl collar cardigan, a modern classic, for warmth and rustic charm ($159). Expecting harsh conditions (or tasked with shoveling snow from the family's driveway)? Bring along this Canada Goose parka with fleece-lined pockets and mid-thigh protection in forest green ($694.95). These heather gray gloves ($15.95) with Touchpoint technology will keep digits warm, while still allowing you to connect with old friends on your smartphone. Finish off the look with merino wool socks ($14.50) and these updated two-tone hiking boots—an Opening Ceremony and Timberland collaboration ($220). Any last minute items will fit easily in this top-loading small duffle bag by Herschel Supply ($57.99).
What to Do
Or if you're fighting the holiday bulge in advance, sign up for a boot camp class. There are several Thanksgiving classes scattered across the nation with certain places, like La Mesa Fit Body Boot Camp in San Diego, adding a charity component as well. For the November 22 class, La Mesa is raising funds to go to feed the area's homeless.
Photo Credits: Women: Top Left: AEO Management Co.; Bottom Left: Bloomingdaleâ€™s By Mail Ltd; Center Top Left: AEO Management Co.; Center Top Right: Reiss limited; Center Bottom Left: Saks Fifth Avenue; Center Bottom Right: J. Crew; Top Right: Rag & Bone; Bottom Right: Lord & Taylor. Men: Top Left: J. Crew; Bottom Left: Herschel Supply Company; Center Top Left: Backcountry.com; Center Top Right: National Geographic Society; Center Bottom Left: AEO Management Co.; Top Right: Oak NYC; Right Center: Opening Ceremony; Bottom Right: REI.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- $1761 & up -- Costa Rica 7-Nt. Eco-Adventure w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1529* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $99-$129 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $789 & up -- Oahu: Royal Hawaiian 3-Nt. Tips w/Air & CarPleasant Holidays
- $72 & up -- Portland Hotel Deals up to 55% OffTravel Portland
- $899 -- Andes & South America 16-Night Cruise on PrincessPrincess Cruises