What to Wear: Barbados
With hurricane season put to bed, the winter months are prime for heading to the Caribbean for sand and surf. And amongst the many exotic islands, few have quite the options as Barbados. With everything from local flavor (fish fry, Mount Gay rum) to posh celebrity resorts (Sandy Lane), the Caribbean isle covers a lot of ground and then some. Here are a few stylish packing picks for soaking up the sun.
Known for white sand beaches actually made of fine coral, Barbados boasts world class seaside lounging on its west coast (the "Platinum Coast"). Like the other developed Caribbean hot spots, the former British colony veers on the chic side of island dressing. As such, bring along this zebra print bikini in a sassy green ($56.38 for the top; $50.87 for the bottom, both half off now) by jet-setter Diane von Furstenberg. To cover up: an indigo denim skirt ($68) and white chambray button-down ($29.99, was $39.95) make for a clean, no-fuss look. Instead, let your accessories do the talking, with these neon and zebra print flat sandals ($315) and pink shell bracelet ($85). This tan credit card holder ($27) keeps things sleek and won't take up much room whether you go for a small day bag or larger beach tote. And while being close to the equator certainly has its advantages, keep peepers protected with these cat-eye tortoiseshell sunnies by Elizabeth and James ($155)
With highly touted restaurants like The Cliff dishing up international fare, dining in Barbados can be a dressed up affair. Better to bring along a fancy frock, just in case. This pinkish nude number by Acne ($320) comes in a beautiful flowing silk and will show off a fresh tan. Stick with the neutral palette when selecting footwear—these nude peep-toes do the trick ($99.90 by Zara). And with fantastic vistas to match the fine dining, go with romantic or natural-type finishes like this long feather necklace ($128) and wood box clutch. For a dash of color, bring along a bright lipstick. Dolce & Gabbana makes a super moisturizing lip color, and we like the aptly named "Tropical," which soothes and plumps sun-chapped pouts ($34).
With the local love for cricket and polo, Barbados has a preppy spirit when it comes to daytime dressing. You can't go wrong with a pink polo by prep-master Ralph Lauren ($75). But below, be ready for a surfing lesson on the craggy East coast in these shadow plaid board shorts ($75) by Saturdays surf shop in NYC. For protection from the sea spray, go with waterproof footwear like these slip-on Natives ($45), and a water-resistant watch, like this silicone-wrapped style by Marc Jacobs ($300). Tote everything in this tough 18-ounce canvas bag with double-layer bottom by Duluth ($80).
Celebrate the end of the day with a classic rum cocktail. If your trip includes a stop at one of the fancier watering holes, like the open-air L'Acajou Bar and Lounge at Sandy Lane, pack a summerweight blazer like this fine striped cotton one by J. Crew ($278). Prefer island casual? Leave the jacket in the hotel room when hitting up one of the local fish fry spots (the flying fish is a must-try local specialty). Instead, go for this short-sleeve green chambray shirt ($56 at Topman) with these Levi's 511s in light gray ($48). Add these breathable light gray suede kicks ($285) and fabric and leather weave belt ($49.90 from Zara) and you're all set for a night on the town.
What to Do
The west coast of Barbados is home to manicured golf courses and posh spas. And while there's plenty to be said of shacking up in a five star resort, for something slightly off the beaten path, head East or South. The east coast in particular has a cool surfing scene and more of a local vibe.
Beginners should head first to Barry's Surf school, which can accommodate a range of ages and skill levels. Experts may want to go directly to the fishing village Bathsheba, home to the famous Soup Bowl break. (Non-surfers can check out the nearby Andromeda Botanical Gardens usually blooming with hibiscus and other regional flora.) The Sea-U Guest House, overlooking the ocean, is often booked full with traveling surfers so plan for reservations in advance.
Photo Credits: Women Day: Top Left: SINGER22; Left Center: Eminent,Inc.; Bottom Left: NET-A-PORTER.com; Center Top: Meemi Ltd.; Center Bottom: Meemi Ltd.; Top Right: AEO Management Co.; Right Center: Pink Mascara; Bottom Right: TheOutnet.com. Women Night: Top Left: J.Hale, Inc.; Bottom Left: Saks Fifth Avenue; Center Top: J.Crew; Center Bottom: ZARA; Right: Meemi Ltd. Men Day: Top Left: Native Shoes; Bottom Left: Duluth Pack; Center: Ralph Lauren Media LLC; Top Right: Surf NYC LLC; Bottom Right: Marc Jacobs International, LLC. Men Night: Top Left: Levi Strauss & Co.; Bottom Left: ZARA; Center: J.Crew; Top Right: Arcadia Group Brands Limited (doing business as Topman); Bottom Right: NET-A-PORTER.COM.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
If you didn't bring the right outfits you can always head over to the brand new Limegrove shopping center, which is right on the water.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $1599 -- 15-Night Hawaiian Islands Cruise w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1890 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 6-Night B&B Vacation w/AirSceptre Tours
- $161 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 65% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain