What to Pack: Vermont
Rustic lodges, snow-lined streets, and maple syrup as far as the eye can see, Vermont offers the kind of wintry charm found in storybooks. For the season, bring along your ski or snowboard gear to hit the slopes, or simply pack your cold weather pieces to soak in the relaxed setting. You'll look wintry chic in our top packing picks...
For strolling around ski towns like Stratton, think layers. A turtleneck sweater in a frosty ivory makes for an easygoing base ($44.95).
Add a technical layer but without the bulk, like this ultra-light hooded vest ($49.50).
Keep the look sleek with classic skinny denim ($128).
Tuck them into shearling boots, like this handsome pair made of waterproof leather, which are a godsend after a day on the slopes ($378).
Tired of the usual dark winter coats? Try one in peppy cherry red, like this duffle moleskin style ($198).
Hearty and often with a homemade touch, Vermont dining is ideal for the season. Tuck into American fare and sip a bourbon cocktail at the Harrison in Stowe, perhaps in tights and this dressy but low-key plaid dress ($258).
Or jeans, a tee, and this romantic cardigan in mustard ($98) would also feel at home.
Given the country vibe, stick with simpler jewelry like this bracelet set ($102).
A coat is a must, of course, but so is this luxe cashmere scarf in brown heather ($198). (At least we think it's a must.)
Fend off the biting chill with these quilted leather gloves ($39.99), which you can keep on even when fussing with your smartphone. Genius!
Depending on the temperature, you might have a few opportunities left for late fall hikes. Dress warmly, and be ready for all kinds of action, in this camo-print fleece ($89.95).
Go with lined track pants below, or if you're headed into town, these straight leg blue jeans ($185).
The usual sporty puffer vest gets a dapper makeover when rendered in tweed ($265).
When it comes to mountain duds, a cotton-wool blend thermal henley is practically a basic ($55).
Protect ears from biting winds with this cashmere beanie ($70), which works well for both day and night.
Come sundown, there's usually a buoyant scene around ski lodges. If you're in Killington, look for local live music or more international-level bookings at the Pickle Barrel, where this slim-fit flannel shirt ($79.50) is an easy choice.
On colder evenings, add a layer, with this light gray cashmere crewneck ($120).
Your daytime jeans are a no-brainer. Or for another option that's not too outré, choose these navy pants with a subtle herringbone print ($175).
Keep toes cozy, while keeping a grip on the icy terrain, in these shearling-lined rugged boots ($285).
Lastly, throw on a wintertime parka, or this more pulled-together pick: a military-style peacoat in unconventional burgundy ($250).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Zappos.com or its affiliates; Madewell Inc.; www.bodenusa.com; Gap Inc.; UNIQLO CO. LTD. Women Night: Courtesy of Madewell Inc.; http://shop.mythandsymbol.com; Nordstrom, Inc.; Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates; www.anthropologie.com. Men Day: Courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; Burton Snowboards; L.L.Bean, Inc.; Mr Porter; BOP LLC. Men Night: Courtesy of macys.com; http://us.gant.com; www.everlane.com; Club Monaco Corp.; Eastland Shoe Corp.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1195* & up -- Summer Fare Sale to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $802* & up -- Europe Summer Fare Sale from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1965 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
- $2999 -- Spain: 7-Night Culinary & Wine Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises