What to Pack: Vancouver, BC
This striking city is jam packed in more ways than one. Its natural beauty astounds from every angle with a mountain range on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other. And it has a diverse and multicultural scene with some of the best Indian, Japanese, and Cantonese food on the Western seaboard. Mix all that with stylish locals, and you've got a chic, activity-packed trip ahead of you. Want us to help you pack?
Granville Island Days
For a summery day in the metropolis, try a mix of softer feminine cuts, natural materials and slick urban shapes. Pair a white and warm nude-colored cotton and silk slip dress ($175 by local brand Aritzia) with this octagon-shaped resin and wood bangle ($18) and white denim jacket ($34.95). Considering the dress's midi-length, wear it with brown and black wedge sandals ($59.99) for a stroll through the Granville Island Public Market, or switch to pretty flats like these nude and black lace espadrilles ($49). Into a more casual look? Wear these eco, patchwork jeans in light blue ($238) with a relaxed black print tank ($25) or a dressier coral silk top with a romantic tie in the back ($198).
For bar- or club-hopping in the city's Gastown district, slip on cool silk crepe drawstring shorts in a jazzy cobalt blue ($110). Wear them with these simple white heels ($89.99 by Calvin Klein) and this white, rounded-collar blouse with blue placket ($80 by Everlane). Jazz up the modern, spare look, with fun accents, like this woven floral clutch ($78). Dresses are always an easy option for travel. This bright lime green floral shift highlights tanned legs ($29 by Canadian brand Joe Fresh). Or update your Little Black Dress with this crochet number ($330), which will transition easily from day to night. Finish with black sandals with a sturdy heel and secure ankle strap ($81.46 at Asos) to last you into the wee hours.
Ferries by Day
Spend the day at the accessible Stanley Park—be sure to check out the totem poles installed on over 1,000 acres—or hop a ferry to Vancouver Island for an adventure-filled day trip. Keep your look casual in a light orange v-neck tee ($15.99), orange espadrille-sole slip-ons ($79.90), gray cotton short ($96), and slate-colored hoodie ($108 by BC brand Lululemon). Throw a few more daytime selections into your carry-on like a short sleeve button down in a sun-faded stripe ($50). Complete the look with neutral options like this wood watch ($140) and natural belt with black pattern ($49.50).
Brews by Night
Those hankering for a taste of the local microbrew scene should head to the Alibi Room. Throw on these chinos in an unconventional, bright olive hue ($69.50) or lightweight selvedge jeans by Canadian brand Naked & Famous ($148). On top, pull on a linen-blend crewneck tee from hip local boutique Plenty ($77), an artsy slash t-shirt with blue and black design ($40), or a slouchy pocket tee in gray ($30). Got reservations at one of Vancouver's swankier eateries? Opt for this chambray button-down that has a handsome utilitarian look ($64.50). For footwear, check out these plimsoll updates in blue leather by PF Flyers ($89.99).
Where to Stay
When it comes to top-notch accommodations, Vancouver's got plenty. If you're open to spending $250 a night (or more), the Rosewood Hotel Georgia, centrally located with an old school vibe, and Fairmont Pacific Rim are both fantastic options.
Those traveling on a budget should try the Greystone Bed & Breakfast housed in a charming Craftsman (it's about a 20 minute drive into downtown). Be on the lookout for deals at the posh, modern L'Hermitage, which occasionally runs packages and offers perks like free bicycles.
Photo credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Aritzia LP; Bloomingdale's By Mail Ltd., dba bloomingdales.com; Gap Inc.; Nordstrom, Inc.; Aritzia LP; Nordstrom, Inc.; Assembly New York; Gap Inc. Women Night: Courtesy of Lisa Charles Watson/Joe Fresh; asos.com Ltd; Everlane; Anthropologie; Aritzia LP; Calvin Klein; www.lagarconne.com. Men Day: Hudson's Bay Company; Zara; Nordstrom, Inc.; Club Monaco US, LLC; Macys.com, Inc.; SATURDAYS SURF NYC LLC.; lululemon athletica. Men Night: Brooklyn Industries, Inc; PF Flyers; Odin New York; J. Crew; dutil. Denim Shop; Odin New York; Club Monaco US, LLC; Plenty
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2799 -- 7-Night Luxury Tahiti Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $499 & up -- 5-Night La Romana All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $399 -- 7 Night Cruise to St. Maarten from MiamiMSC Cruises
- $299 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel