What to Pack: Utah's National Parks
Utah is blessed with the kind of natural beauty that you could feasibly ogle forever especially at Its national parks, including Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands. With an arid desert climate, fall and spring are the best times to explore the state's spectacular scenery. So pack your hiking shoes, and save room in your bag for these chic and outdoors-approved picks as well.
Due to the desert climate, many of the hikes in Island of the Sky and Arches are on the shorter side. So a smaller pack (stuffed with water bottles), like this olive-colored sling, carries all your necessities without being too cumbersome ($74.99).
Especially if your planned itinerary includes slot canyons or walking through rivers, these Tevas will come in handy ($32).
These convertible hiking pants in cinder gray will work for any weather condition thrown your way along the trail ($77.95).
Depending on how strenuous your plans are, skip the usual sports bra, in lieu of a stretchy tank with built in support ($48.30).
Since desert temperatures can vary dramatically, it's always wise to bring a long-sleeve piece in cool white ($119).
The thermometer can really bottom out at night. Cover up with this khaki utility parka with gorgeous tapestry details ($298).
Classic American materials like chambray, denim, and white crisp cotton are reliable winners. We'd pack this blue dot sleeveless chambray shirt dress ($68).
Short Western-style booties in cream suede are lightweight yet with a low enough heel to stroll town.
For accessories, a single burnt orange, leather-wrapped horn necklace ($145) captures the fun, Southwest vibe.
With the rocky terrain, a solid pair of hiking shoes with ankle protection will do you well ($139.95).
Particularly in the hotter months, but also during autumn daytime hikes, stick with shorts that have plenty of pockets to carry any small wares ($59.99).
A wide-brim sun hat is a daytime hiking essential ($35.95).
If there's a fall breeze, try this striped tee in super lightweight merino wool ($58.99), which has natural wicking and anti-microbial properties.
Pack all of your larger necessities in this bright red hydration pack ($88) that comes with built-in amenities like a pocket for biking tools and a stability belt.
Keep the rest of your nighttime outfits loose and broken-in, like this long sleeve pocket tee ($29.50).
This pair of leather brown chukkas were made to travel (300); they'll only look better with age and adventures.
American heritage brands, like Filson, make handsome yet rough and tumble separates like this green moleskin shirt-jacket ($195).
Why not toss a blue bandana ($9.50) in your pack? It's handy for wiping away sweat, of course, but the paisley-dots combination can work as an accessory for night too.
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of prAna; 5.11, Inc.; USOUTDOOR.com; Deckers Outdoor Corporation; Backcountry.com. Women Night: Courtesy of FreePeople.com; www.vincecamuto.com; Victoria's Secret; Max & Chloe; FreePeople.com. Men Day: Courtesy of New Moosejaw, LLC; Amazon.com, Inc.; Under Armour; New Moosejaw, LLC; Backcountry.com. Men Night: Courtesy of J.CREW; Need Supply Company; Stag; ZAPPOS.COM OR ITS AFFILIATES; Need Supply Company.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Where to Eat in San Antonio, Texas
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
- 8 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia for the Holidays
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways