What to Pack: Tel Aviv
Come winter, this historic Mediterranean city lives the good (and balmy) life with daytime temperatures in the agreeable high 60s and low 70s. Soak up its rich history and thriving culture during the day, and hit the lively dining and nightlife scene by night. This buzzy metropolis has enough to entertain for several days and then some. Pack these stylish picks and you'll be good to go.
Call to Port
Though most Israelis would probably hop in their car for short commutes, for the traveler, Tel Aviv is a walkable city. Explore the charming old port of Jaffa (or Yafo) in these gold flat sandals with braided ankle ties ($44.50).
Building up, layer on an ivory tunic with open knit dolman sleeves ($154) over a simple tank.
Depending on the month, you'll want to wear jeans, or if the weather permits, these casual denim cut-offs ($58).
For a local touch, wrap on this hamsa bracelet in gold and warm russet ($97). The amulets are known in the region to ward off bad juju.
If the day's fresh catch is your thing, then you're in for a treat. The hometown cuisine is inventive, dynamic, and often locally-sourced: the location offers great access to fish and seafood. Head to Lilienblum Street, lined back to back with restaurants, in this blue handknit sweater with mosaic style print ($158).
Perhaps pair the light sweater with a black and white flared mini skirt ($149.50).
Or if you're in the mood, riff off the local bohemian vibe in a flowy silk maxi dress the color of the sea ($350).
Leave the look long and romantic or create definition with this black leather stretch corset belt ($68).
Finally, choose a charming clutch to pull it all together: this one has lovely textures in raffia and blue dot embroidery ($115).
There's a thriving art scene in Israel, and when in Tel Aviv, head directly to Florentin for its nouveau galleries. Stay cool in a cotton-linen blend polo in seashell pink ($34.99)
On bottom, a pair of 7" chino shorts in British khaki will go well with just about any top.
With the sun often shining, a pair of shades is essential. Try this handsome ombre horn pair on for size ($210).
For a more laid-back day, slip on this print surf tee instead ($25).
And these flip flops, dressed up in black leather, can go from the beach to the city in a heartbeat ($120).
New Port for a New Night
The city's modern seaport turns into a rollicking bar and nightclub area after dark. Particularly with its larger restaurant venues, it's a great opportunity to dine al fresco. For a chillier night, bring along this blue cashmere knit hat ($95).
Tel Aviv fashion is rarely overdressed. This print motorcycle tee ($50) will hold its own.
On top, zip up this lightweight cardigan in a gray melange ($156).
A pair of garment-dyed jeans will give your usual denim wardrobe a kick in the pants ($176).
Lastly, just because you like comfort while traveling, doesn't mean there aren't savvy compromises. Take these leather high-tops in caramel leather as evidence ($99).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of PLANET BLUE; Otte Online; asos.com Ltd; Target Brands, Inc.; Target Brands, Inc.; LEVI STRAUSS & CO. Women Night: Courtesy of Net-A-Porter; MODA OPERANDI, INC.; J.CREW; www.anntaylor.com; Club Monaco Corp. Men Day: Courtesy of SWELL.COM; SWELL.COM; BArneys New York; J.CREW; L.L.Bean Inc. Men Night: Courtesy of Vince; BOP LLC.; BOP LLC.; Need Supply Company; Need Supply Company.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149 & up -- Ends 8/24: Bahamas Cruises w/All-Incl. OptionNorwegian Cruise Line
- $499 & up -- Ends 8/24: Bermuda Cruises w/All-Incl. OptionNorwegian Cruise Line
- $270 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 30%Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach
- $1625 & up -- Beijing, Shanghai & Hong Kong 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $199 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 65%The Westin Chicago River North
- $1275 & up -- U.S. Steamboat Cruises w/Hotel Stay, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company