What to Pack: Summer in Maine
When we say Portland, you probably think of Oregon first. But there's another hip Portland to the east (ya know, in Maine) that, come summer, is all about a bustling waterfront, days spent strolling the local shops, and evenings spent eating the day's freshest catch. It is also a great jumping off point to explore Maine's vast coastline, or to even dip into New Hampshire for a hike in the stunning White Mountains. Now, what to bring?
Bar Harbor Days
Though it varies with the season, rain is consistently part of the picture. Bring a chic rain coat like this cheerful coral version by Ilse Jacobsen ($289).
An all-American chambray shirt, here with a sweet pin dot, makes for an excellent beach cover-up ($24.95).
Shield your eyes as well with these cat-eye frames ($98).
With both busy ports and idyllic harbors, Maine has plenty of nautical spirit. Keep with the theme in this mariner's style day dress ($69.99).
Don't forget your SPF and a destination-specific beach read, like Shorecliff, a debut novel by Ursula DeYoung.
Maine dressing keeps casual and comfortable even into the evening hours. In Portland, which has lively pub scene, this charcoal flower print sweatshirt ($188) balances fashion and function.
If you feel like getting a bit more dolled up, this short sleeve sweater in mustard ($119.50) has a vintage feminine feel.
Either would pair well with classic-cut jeans, which has extra charm with a few worn-in details ($118).
Meanwhile, an evening bag in off-white speaks of warmer seasons, and the cross-body design keeps hands free ($148)
Keep footwear short on heel but high on style with these two-tone brown booties ($198).
Kicking Back in Kennebunkport
Grab your rucksack from Maine-based L.L. Bean ($199) for a trip to the oceanside town of Kennebunkport ($199).
Stroll Ocean Avenue in chino shorts with a rakish roll-up hem ($50).
You can't go wrong with a classic boat shoe, but this custom, handmade by Maine company Quoddy is an especially handsome winner ($265).
A casual football tee with natty stripes on the sleeves is a weekend no-brainer ($40).
Where else can you wear lobster red (here paired with stripes in this polo for $69) than in Maine?
Speaking of delectable crustaceans, Kennebunkport has an extensive selection of eateries that do well by the local specialty. For a more dressed up dinner, head to 50 Local, just outside of the city, where these military twill chinos ($90) will be a good fit.
On top, button up this indigo check flannel shirt, which has a clean, trim fit ($198).
If the weather is on the warmer side, this gray marled henley will do ($120) better.
For accessories, a seaside flair is a thoughtful touch, like this anchor bracelet in blue and silver ($60).
Or an espadrille base always says "summer," as in these cream sneakers ($110 by Ted Baker).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of 2013 Hachette Book Group; 2001-2013 BananaRepublic.com; 1997 - 2013 Gap Inc.;2013 SPLENDID AVENUE; 2013 Lands' End; 2002-2013 ModCloth.com. Women Night: Courtesy of 2013 Madewell Inc; www.ellamoss.com; 2013 Club Monaco Corp.; 2013 IIIBeCa. Men Day: Courtesy of 2013 Nordstrom, Inc.; Gap Inc; L.L.Bean Inc. Copyright 2013; www.quoddy.com. Men Night: Courtesy of 2013 Nordstrom, Inc.; 2013 J. PRESS; 2013 J.CREW; 2013 Need Supply Company; 2013 Mr Porter.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $43 -- CA: Six Flags Magic Mountain Day Pass, Reg. $68Visit Santa Clarita
- $1139 & up -- Rome, Athens & Istanbul 7-Nts. w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $59* & up -- Spring Fare Sale on Alaska Airlines, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1437 & up -- Fiji Islands & Auckland 6-Nts. w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com