What to Pack: Spain
Flamenco, sunshine, sangria, and siestas. There are few better places to soak them all up than Spain. We're currently on the market for a trip to Seville, the Andalusia city mixes old world romance (see: Maria Luisa park and the sweeping Plaza de España) and modern flair, like the Metropol Parasol by German architect Jurgen Mayer. We'd add on a couple day trips to, say, Cadiz and Granada, to really get that whole out-of-office feeling going. But before we can in the tapas, we've got to pack our bags...
Being slightly inland, Seville summers can be brutally hot. Escape the midday heat by cooling off in Cadiz and its Mediterranean breezes. This two-piece tie-dye set ($80 for the top and $88 for the bottom) is made for a dip in the sea.
A wide brim straw hat ($34.99) will protect against the afternoon UV rays.
For a cover-up, this cream woven lace tunic is dressy enough for lunch but has the carefree spirit right for vacations ($245).
Or for a more casual look, pair a simple white tank with this loose swingy denim skirt ($143).
Don't forget to pack accessories, like this red-orange scarf ($56) that captures the area's laid-back spirit.
For the fall season or a more casual night, a two-piece ensemble seems louche and relaxed. Start with this three-quarter sleeve top that stops just above the hip ($92).
Pair it with these print palazzo pants in black and cream ($68).
With cobblestones to walk on and flamenco moves to practice, wear a comfortable heel, like this stacked style in nude patent ($109.95).
Choose accessories that can go with a few different outfits, like this colorblock clutch in blue, brown, and cream ($98).
Along with the impressive Maria Luisa park, Seville has plenty of must-see destinations, like the Alcazar royal palace, with its Moorish influence and famous "courtyard of maidens." These bright mustard shorts ($65) suit the setting's neutral hues beautifully.
On top, a collarless linen shirt looks cool and collected ($120).
Though, a printed gray t-shirt would work just as well ($29.90).
For the best view, tortoiseshell sunglasses will filter the high noon sun ($285).
Lastly, keep your footwear easy and breathable with these cream cotton-twill sneakers ($110).
Be sure to wander the magical, winding streets of Barrio Santa Cruz, the former Jewish quarter. In typical Spanish style, dinner starts late, around 9 pm or so. Pull on these lightweight stretchy gray jeans ($230) for a bite at El Pasaje.
Pair those chic, casual jeans with this button-down print shirt in the color of rich Rioja ($225).
Or if you prefer to be more dressed-down, a white placket henley ($129) will go with most items.
Tuck your euros into this rough and tumble wallet in light brown leather ($110).
Finish your look with oxfords made for warmer climates, like this suede and nylon pair ($98).
Photo Credits: Women Day â€“ Cadiz Cool-Off: Courtesy of Michael Kors; CALYPSO ST. BARTH; ZAPPOS.COM OR ITS AFFILIATES; Subtle Luxury & Spun by Subtle Luxury; BOP LLC. Women Night: Courtesy of www.anthropologie.com; www.lagarconne.com; Nordstrom, Inc.; Nordstrom, Inc.; www.anthropologie.com. Men Day â€“ City Touring: Courtesy of Just One Eye; Mr Porter; ZARA; Mr Porter; www.ikkon.com. Men Night: Courtesy of HAMILTON SHIRTS; Macys.com, Inc.; www.flintandtinderusa.com; www.ikkon.com; ROGAN LLC.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Recently returned from 5 weeks in Spain, including Seville, which was brutally hot. Most women wear loose fitting dresses made of light weight linen or cotton
with sandals or espadrilles. All the capri pants and tops I brought for the trip were too hot, so I had to shop. Never wore a sweater in five weeks!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- America's Best Wine Bars
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays