What to Pack: Singapore
Steamy, bustling, and burgeoning, Singapore has become a rather snazzy metropolis in recent years. Positioned in Southeast Asia, the city-state has booming financial and trade sectors, plus a feverish tourism industry to boot. Whether you lounge in indulgent five-star hotels or walk the streets to taste the myriad of excellent food stalls, this destination is a fascinating brew of modern and old. Below, a brief primer on what to bring.
If you’re in it for the shopping, you’ll find all your international brands and then some at the impressive megamalls. But for a break (for you and your wallet), get your visual kicks by strolling through the Singapore Botanic Gardens, where you'll find the National Orchid Garden. Pick pieces that will breathe in the year-round heat like this print dress with an airy ruffled skirt ($59.99).
Public transportation is excellent, but you’ll still be happiest in walkable sandals like these in tan cowhide and pink snakeskin ($225).
You’ll notice many of the locals toting around cross-body bags. Bring your own, perhaps in a feminine ballet pink ($375).
Sunglasses are a traveler’s must; if you’re used to solid frames, try one in a neutral pattern, like this animal-print pair ($190).
Especially if you plan on dipping inside for lunch or you're game for more shopping, bring along a cardigan or this lightweight cropped denim jacket to combat heavy air conditioning ($45).
Views, Views, Views
Looking for a lofty cityscape? If so, it’s tough to top the flashy Marina Bay Sands, with its dazzlingly ostentatious architecture and famously sexy infinity pool. The top-floor pool level also boasts a European-style restaurant with excellent wine selections. Relax on one of the restaurant’s bar banquettes in a sleek sophisticated dress such as this white textured design with attractive back detail ($79.99).
Match the dress’s clean lines with a single architectural piece, like a hammered gold cuff ($140).
Otherwise, look for contrast from a pair of colorful heels to this red-hot clutch with laser-cut eyelet leather ($99).
Separates can also double your wardrobe versatility. A white top with pretty frill details ($49.90) will go well with slim jeans and pumps. Or try it with a playful print, like this wrap skirt ($390).
Like the ladies, men will find plenty to shop for, including electronics at Sim Lim Square. But if escape is what you’re after, consider a day trip to the verdant isle of Pulau Ubin. There the country pace will certainly slow you down a notch. Dress for both types of adventures in a micro houndstooth club short ($69.50) and printed t-shirt ($95).
Chances are you’ll be sweltering in the humidity, but having a hoodie, here in garment-dyed sea blue ($98.50), is handy and never hurts.
You may find that shade is your friend, whether from skyscrapers or the kind you wear on your face, like these vintage-inspired sunglasses in smoky gray ($405).
The cocktail Singapore Sling may have been invented at the Raffles Hotel, but unless you’re after nostalgia alone, you’ll probably prefer some of the city’s hipper establishments like the Spiffy Dapper, tucked on the second floor of 61 Boat Quay. Dress in natural fabrics, such as this pima cotton green polo with nifty extended placket ($115).
Or a short-sleeve button down, particularly in novel prints, adds a dressy but unpretentious touch ($55).
Both options will pair well with denim. Considering the nighttime temperatures (in the 70s and up) and more polished scene, look for a lighter weight and non-whiskered wash ($220).
Photo Credit: Women Day: courtesy of Net-A-Porter; MANGO On-Line Inc.; LEVI STRAUSS & CO.; River Light V, L.P.; BOP LLC. Women Night: courtesy of Mango On-Line Inc.; BRANDS, INC; ZARA; Net-A-Porter; MATCHESFASHION.COM. Men Day: courtesy of J.CREW; Mr Porter; http://usonline.apc.fr/; Club Monaco Corp; Zappos.com or its affiliates. Men Night: courtesy of unionmadegoods.com; Barneys New York; Barneys New York; Nordstrom, Inc.; www.billyreid.com.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2703 & up -- Ireland in Spring: 5-Star Trip w/Four SeasonsSceptre Tours
- $129 & up -- Washington, D.C., Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1555 & up -- London: 4-Night Getaway w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7-Nt. Trip w/Amazon Tour & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $2999 -- Kenya 7-Nt. Safari w/Game Drives & Air, $400 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $1374 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com