What to Pack: San Francisco
Once more of a backseat city to Los Angeles, San Francisco has risen over the years in stature, with enough burgeoning cultural and tourism offerings to deem it one of the most dynamic cities around. With a stunning bay setting as backdrop, the city's diversity ranges from billionaire techies and Napa Valley oenophiles to the remaining champions of hippie living. With its cornucopia of offerings, not to mention excellent dining options, a fall weekend will fly by faster than you can say 49ers. Here are a few wardrobe ideas for your city jaunt.
Famous for its hilly and picturesque streets, walk the neighborhoods in these laceless leather oxfords ($158).
Pair the stylish shoes with a slimmed-down version of boyfriend jeans, perhaps rolled up at the ankles ($115).
Soften the tomboyish look with bird-print blouse in a pretty dusk blush ($37.99).
A navy peacoat with military trimmings is a neat topper ($280).
With handsome looks and a removable lining, this no-nonsense tote is a traveler's dream. Plus, we like the fall-friendly, pumpkin-colored cowhide ($198).
Combat chilly fall nights with a versatile fuzzy sweater in an airy light gray ($79.90).
Take to the pavement in style with these sharp black booties ($265).
These heels will also go with figure-flattering cocktail dress, touting a gently ruffled skirt ($320).
For accessories, channel the locals with these ball-drop earrings in silver and petrified wood by Bay Area designer Jessica Winzelberg ($95).
Hippy Hangin' in the Haight
These days, SF's hippie vibe is far more sedate, but the Haight nabe, epicenter to the city's legendary '60s scene, where you'll find the Grateful Dead house, still has some funk to spare. (If you're there in June, there's also a neighborhood street fair.) Dress casually but with an eye for textures, like with this gray bouclé sweatshirt ($162).
For the nippy fall days, layer up with this striped tee underneath ($95).
A pair of slim-fit khakis will pair with most items. Try a pair from locally based Levi's for a friendly price tag ($37).
Multi-colored knits were once an emblem of hippie chic. Nike's modern-day version, here in a pair of Flyknit sneakers, are far more sleek ($159.95):
Ward off the bay winds with this lightweight parka in a foggy teal ($200).
Swinging Nights in SoMa
This former industrial area—since converted to lofts, pubs, and fine restaurants—is well worth a browse. For sampling the local microbrews, this brown and blue plaid shirt in a slim cut will hold up well ($140).
Wear with a pair of American-made jeans. This design by Raleigh comes in a deep blue overdye, with plenty of stretch ($225).
A heritage accent, such as a pair of tortoiseshell frames, lends a literary vibe ($145).
Though San Francisco doesn't suffer the rough winter weather of, say, the East Coast, temperatures at night can dip into the 40s. Bring your favorite outerwear and perhaps a sweater or two, like this cable-knit classic, shown in oatmeal ($248).
In a nod to the area's tech valleys and corridors, strap on this latest accessory by Jawbone; the bracelet will measure data with details on your daily activity and sleep patterns ($129.99).
Photo Credits: (Women) Hill Hopping: Courtesy of Macys.com, Inc.; JOY GRYSON; www.madewell.com; ModCloth.com; ZAPPOS.COM OR ITS AFFILIATES. (Women) Fine Dining: Courtesy of ZARA; TIBI LLC; Jessica Winzelberg; Net-A-Porter; Bloomingdale's. Men (Hippy Hangin' in the Haight): Courtesy of LEVI STRAUSS & CO.; Need Supply Company; Mr Porter; www.roadrunnersports.com; BOP LLC. Men (Swinging Nights in SoMa): Courtesy of UNIONMADE; Jawbone; www.warbyparker.com; BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP, INC.; BOP LLC.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- 10 Airlines with In-Flight WiFi
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Riviera Maya: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $689 & up -- 5-Nt. Turks & Caicos Getaway w/Breakfast & AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $649 & up -- Los Cabos: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/Spa CreditCheapCaribbean.com
- $129-$169 -- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $189 & up -- NYC: Times Square Westin thru Fall, 75% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $619 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com