What to Pack: Rio de Janeiro
With the World Cup less than a year away, now's the time to visit this sizzling South American city before the soccer crowds descend. Plus, with Rio de Janeiro's south-of-the-equator positioning, summer is in full swing come December, January and February, making the "Cidade Maravilhosa" (or the "Marvelous City") a perfectly timed winter break. Here's a primer on what to bring.
A pair of slouchy linen pants ($34.50) in sunny yellow would also work well, topped with a casual open-work sweater.
Neatly go straight from the beach to happy hour by packing up your wet pieces in this beach vacation travel bag set ($66).
Try your hand (or, rather, feet and hips) at samba in the Lapa neighborhood. The music pumps in to the streets and on late into the night. Choose stretchy, movable pieces like these low-rise ankle jeans ($178).
Balance out your slimmer cut denim with a loose and flowy top in Rio red ($215).
Keep your personal items close and secure with this smartphone wristlet wallet ($155).
Add strappy high heels, such as these colorblock stunners from Brazilian brand Schutz ($230).
Considering the mellow Carioca (Rio resident) vibe, it's no surprise surfing is popular in Rio. Off the Arpoador (the big rock near Ipanema), the waters are usually jammed with bobbing surfers and their boards. If you have the time, take a 45-minute drive to Prainha instead. (Nearby, in Praia do Pepe, there are also options for kite- and wind-surfers.) Be sure to wear your board shorts, or these snazzy swim trunks in minty aqua ($97.89).
On top, cover up with a slub Henley cotton tee in sun-reflecting white ($25.99).
For a more relaxed day, go for these twill chino shorts instead ($39.95).
Punctuate the look with a bright pair of limited edition Nike sneakers: the "Beaches of Rio" Air Max edition, naturally ($110).
These classic Ray Ban Clubmasters, given a modern finish in sleek aluminum, will pair with just about any look ($205).
Come dinnertime, head to Lagoa for dining with a view. Though the temperatures are normally nice and balmy this time of year, bring along this quilted denim shirt, which can double as a lightweight jacket ($387).
During the summer season, give lighter colored jeans a try, like this cream pair ($205).
To add warm-weather flair, choose unconventional prints, such as this black floral striped tee ($44).
Or, this peach tie-dye button-down will stand out all on its own ($180).
When it comes to nighttime footwear, think sporty, but still polished enough for reservations at finer venues. These gray leather lace-ups offer just the right mix ($99.90).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Aguaclara; www.matchesfashion.com; Victoria's Secret; BOP LLC.; Ipanema, Grendene USA, Inc. Women Night: Courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; BOP LLC.; Gap Inc; schutz-shoes.com; Nordstrom, Inc. Men Day: Courtesy of www.rvca.com; MANGO-On Line, S.A.; Luxottica group; Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates; asos.com Ltd. Men Night: Courtesy of www.matchesfashion.com; us.topman.com; Need Supply Company; Saks Fifth Avenue; ZARA
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $189-$199 -- Weekends at Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star HotelThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $149-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into June, One WayVirgin America
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism