What to Pack: Punta del Este
With sunny, windswept beaches and excellent wineries just a day trip away, Punta del Este has long been a South American and European vacation favorite. In recent years, more North Americans have caught on (blame it on their national soccer star Luis Suarez or the increasing celebs spotted in the area, including Naomi Watts). Here are a few ideas on what to include in your suitcase.
Punta del Este is a beach city in the truest sense, so you’ll have your pick of sandy stretches. Most prefer the prime scenes near La Barra, a trendy neighborhood, including Bikini, Manantiales and Montoya beaches. Accordingly, wear your best bikini, such as this vibrant crochet set in zig-zag blue ($48 for the top; $38 for the bottom).
Especially if you’ve been suffering a cold winter (read: your skin has only seen fluorescent office lights), protect your complexion with SPF and this floppy patchwork hat ($58).
Late Night Lounging
Dinner runs late (we’re talking 10 or 11 pm) but you can kick things off with sunset cocktails at the many beach bars in José Ignacio. A jersey dress in snazzy floral print ($210) is just stretchy enough to lounge about comfortably.
This being a oceanside destination, finish your look with a few natural touches. Loose beach waves will go with the rustic detail on this black-leather-and-raffia clutch ($295).
Or choose these horn bangles, whose neutral tones will pair with both colors and muted shades ($12.97).
Particularly during the winter season, Montoya in La Barra is where to find a good break. If lazing around is more your speed, head to José Ignacio on the earlier side for lunch at La Huella. Pick an appropriately hip pair of swim trunks, such as these by Marc by Marc Jacobs in light gray leopard ($158).
If you plan on beach-hopping, a sturdy yet attractive beach bag ($120) will stow all your extras.
Round out your laidback getup with a pair of cool matte black sunglasses ($310). They’re excellent cover for people-watching.
Looking for a hot spot? The best parties are usually those hosted in the million-dollar homes lining the beach. The area has somewhat of a South Beach vibe, so keep your duds loose, light, and fresh, like this short-sleeve chambray top with white pineapple print ($168) or a relaxed mocha henley with subtle contrast pocket ($44).
Pressed off-white shorts ($64.50) work well with the area’s balmy summer temperatures.
For cooler nights, these velvety-soft brushed twill jeans ($195) will fit the bill.
Surely it’s fine to go sockless, but nifty sneakers, like these Paul Smiths ($245), are a finer choice for after hours than your daytime flip-flops.
Photo Credit: Women Day: courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; The Echo Design Group Inc.; Nordstrom, Inc.; www.shopkitson.com. Women Night: courtesy of Net-A-Porter; Macys.com, Inc.; www.loefflerrandall.com; J.CREW; Net-A-Porter. Men Day: courtesy of Mr Porter; http://us.havaianas.com; Zappos.com or its affiliates; Bloomingdale's; Saks Fifth Avenue. Men Night: courtesy of Macys.com, Inc.; J.CREW; BOP LLC; Steven Alan Holdings, LLC.; BOP LLC
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- America's Best Oktoberfests
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- $1752 & up -- Rome Cooking Vacation w/Tours, Transfers & AirGreat Value Vacations
- $115 -- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $125 & up -- San Juan 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 35%Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $169* & up -- Coast-to-Coast Fares into 2015, One WayVirgin America
- $119 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver