What to Pack: Punta del Este
With sunny, windswept beaches and excellent wineries just a day trip away, Punta del Este has long been a South American and European vacation favorite. In recent years, more North Americans have caught on (blame it on their national soccer star Luis Suarez or the increasing celebs spotted in the area, including Naomi Watts). Here are a few ideas on what to include in your suitcase.
Punta del Este is a beach city in the truest sense, so you’ll have your pick of sandy stretches. Most prefer the prime scenes near La Barra, a trendy neighborhood, including Bikini, Manantiales and Montoya beaches. Accordingly, wear your best bikini, such as this vibrant crochet set in zig-zag blue ($48 for the top; $38 for the bottom).
Especially if you’ve been suffering a cold winter (read: your skin has only seen fluorescent office lights), protect your complexion with SPF and this floppy patchwork hat ($58).
Late Night Lounging
Dinner runs late (we’re talking 10 or 11 pm) but you can kick things off with sunset cocktails at the many beach bars in José Ignacio. A jersey dress in snazzy floral print ($210) is just stretchy enough to lounge about comfortably.
This being a oceanside destination, finish your look with a few natural touches. Loose beach waves will go with the rustic detail on this black-leather-and-raffia clutch ($295).
Or choose these horn bangles, whose neutral tones will pair with both colors and muted shades ($12.97).
Particularly during the winter season, Montoya in La Barra is where to find a good break. If lazing around is more your speed, head to José Ignacio on the earlier side for lunch at La Huella. Pick an appropriately hip pair of swim trunks, such as these by Marc by Marc Jacobs in light gray leopard ($158).
If you plan on beach-hopping, a sturdy yet attractive beach bag ($120) will stow all your extras.
Round out your laidback getup with a pair of cool matte black sunglasses ($310). They’re excellent cover for people-watching.
Looking for a hot spot? The best parties are usually those hosted in the million-dollar homes lining the beach. The area has somewhat of a South Beach vibe, so keep your duds loose, light, and fresh, like this short-sleeve chambray top with white pineapple print ($168) or a relaxed mocha henley with subtle contrast pocket ($44).
Pressed off-white shorts ($64.50) work well with the area’s balmy summer temperatures.
For cooler nights, these velvety-soft brushed twill jeans ($195) will fit the bill.
Surely it’s fine to go sockless, but nifty sneakers, like these Paul Smiths ($245), are a finer choice for after hours than your daytime flip-flops.
Photo Credit: Women Day: courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; The Echo Design Group Inc.; Nordstrom, Inc.; www.shopkitson.com. Women Night: courtesy of Net-A-Porter; Macys.com, Inc.; www.loefflerrandall.com; J.CREW; Net-A-Porter. Men Day: courtesy of Mr Porter; http://us.havaianas.com; Zappos.com or its affiliates; Bloomingdale's; Saks Fifth Avenue. Men Night: courtesy of Macys.com, Inc.; J.CREW; BOP LLC; Steven Alan Holdings, LLC.; BOP LLC
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 13 Family-Friendly Hotels for Your Next Big Vacation
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally | Fodor's
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- $110 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 65%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $1705 & up -- Costa Rica 8-Nt. Eco-Adventure incl. AirGreat Value Vacations
- $139-$162 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $499* & up -- Scandinavia & Europe Winter & Spring Sale, R/TScandinavian Airlines
- $178 & up -- Holidays at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport