What to Pack: Philadelphia
Philly is filled to the brim with historic sites and landmarks (see: Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Declaration House, et al). But the city is also home to a burgeoning food and drink scene, idyllic green spaces, and festivals galore. There are endless reasons to make the trip to Philly this year; here's what you should pack.
From City to Park
Head to the City Center area to grab lunch and stroll the downtown area in a purple maxi dress with breezy double slits ($168 by Anthropologie, a local company), styled perhaps with a long and louche glass pendant necklace ($38). Stick with flat sandals, like these silver and raffia ones by Loeffler Randall ($117), which will also go with a tie-dye gauzy blue button down from hometown favorite Free People ($108) and white denim shorts ($29.99). Slip into these sweet Liberty-print floral sneakers by Nike ($150) to check out Fairmouth Park. Keep it casual for an afternoon picnic in bleached skinny crop jeans ($210), white sleeveless eyelet blouse ($39.99), and gray oversize sunnies by DKNY ($79.95).
Start your evening with a delectable meal at Will or Vernick Food & Drink. These colorblock wedge sandals will last you throughout the night ($89.50). Pair them with a pull on camo pant in light yellow and faded olive ($149.50) with a handy white tank. Dresses are an easy all-in-one travel solution. Spring for this lace-up khaki number ($210) or this fit-and-flare frock in summery yellow ($58.50). Accent with simple jewelry, like a stackable initial ring in gold ($69), and tuck your cash and cards into this multi-zip clutch, which also converts into a cross-body bag ($154.81).
Sights to Be Seen
Take advantage of the city's rich American history by adding the National Constitutional Center and the Betsy Ross house to your must-see list. For the visit, pull on lightweight beige jeans ($235), short sleeve blue tee ($29), and these chambray sneakers by Vans ($55). If your trip falls on the latter months of the summer, beware of the Eastern Seaboard humidity. Bring along a look for the hotel pool that'll also translate to city activities, like a ringer tank in lapis blue ($16.95), swim-to-sweet cargo shorts ($17.94), and burlap flip flops ($37.95).
For the most part, Philly sticks to a relaxed dress code. Keep cool in this orange Irish linen button-down shirt in a slim-fit ($98.50) with a mini-floral short ($89.50) and orange and natural boat shoes ($110) to check out the taco scene at Lolita restaurant ($20 tacos on Tuesday with Bring Your Own Tequila). A few tried-and-true shapes add versatility to your wardrobe, like a short sleeve button down in khaki ($48), a polo shirt in brick red ($90), striped top ($70 by Saint James), and gray jeans ($215). Whichever you choose, a classic brown leather strap watch with silver dial will go with just about everything ($150).
Where to Stay
The Kimpton Hotel Group has a number of popular standouts in Philly, namely the new Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, within walking distance to the Liberty Bell, and Hotel Palomar, in City Center West and housed in a renovated Art Deco building. Both establishments are also pet-friendly.
For a quaint townhouse experience, head to the Rittenhouse 1715 with just 23 rooms off Rittenhouse Square and historic architecture. Similarly, the Morris House Hotel has charm to spare—built in 1787, it's been designated a national historic landmark—and is centrally located. Plus, the rooms are spacious and the courtyard garden is a scenic place to take afternoon tea.
For more travel and fashion, follow @beeshapiro.
Photo credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Sunglass Hut; Intermix; MANGO On-Line Inc.; FreePeople.com; Nike, Inc.; Anthropologie; CUSP.COM; FreePeople.com; AEO Management Co. Women Night: Courtesy of Anne Taylor; Nordstrom, Inc.; BOP LLC.; Amazon.com, Inc.; Club Monaco Corp.; BaubleBar Inc. Men Day: Courtesy of A.P.C.; Islanders Coastal Outfitter; Gap Inc.; Woolrich, Inc; Gap Inc.; UrbanOutfitters.com. Men Night: Courtesy of J.CREW; Nordstrom, Inc.; ZAPPOS.COM; Club Monaco Corp.; UNIONMADE; BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP, INC.; Mr Porter; Gap Inc.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $1039 & up -- Balcony on Bermuda Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksNorwegian Cruise Line
- $159 -- Colorado: Suite at 4-Star Mountain Resort, $290 OffBeaver Creek Lodge
- $499 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Trip, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1119 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Greek Isles Cruise, Save $330Royal Caribbean
- $2799 -- 7-Night Luxury Tahiti Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises