What to Pack: Marrakesh
Spice bazaars, Berber souks, and a tempting culinary scene: Marrakesh is one memorably exotic destination, appearing on many a globe-trotters must-visit list. A bonus? In recent years, hoteliers have been planting their roots, opening spectacular properties like the Delano, Taj Palace, and Baglioni, set on a whopping 34 acres. Here are the most stylish picks to stuff in your bag.
With about 18 souks selling everything from locally made leathers to arts and crafts, the city is a shopper's paradise. For a shopping day, wear comfortable sandals, like these mini wedges in gold ($69.99).
The city enjoys summer-like temperatures for most of the year. Stay cool in these wide leg linen pants ($132).
On top, any cotton tee will do. Or if you prefer an all-in-one, a tunic dress captures the area's jet-set yet bohemian style ($108).
Although Marrakesh is a modern city, it is still wise to carry a wrap with you to cover your shoulders (particularly if plan to visit a mosque during the trip). This pick in pink and red silk comes with playful tassels and also works well as an airplane scarf ($58.99).
Ogle and haggle over souk wares from behind these golden-lensed aviators ($126).
Dining Al Fresco
With courtyards aplenty and daytime open-air cafes, which convert into rooftop bars at night (see: Kechmara), the dining scene offers a variety of settings. To start: go dressy but relaxed in these crepe harem-cut pants ($255).
On top, a louche beaded top in cream has a romantic spirit ($168).
Add a pair of silver earrings with cut-out Moorish motif to hint at local artworks ($10.50).
Throw on this open-work cardigan in a peachy blush in case breezes pick up ($345).
Or channel your inner Talitha Getty in this floral printed frock in sea glass and peacock blue ($295).
On Palaces and Sultans
With a rich and varied history, Marrakesh is dotted with the gorgeous former homes of viziers and sultans, like the Badia and Bahia palaces. Dress loose and relaxed for day in this breathable striped linen tee ($125).
Actually, a few tees will pad out your daytime wardrobe. Perhaps pack this style with a Moroccan-notch neckline in marine blue ($38).
A pair of longish shorts are a good versatile option ($39.95). Choose neutral tones to boost the match-ability of your separates.
Natural materials are the best for sunny midday heat. These plimsolls are crafted from vintage wash linen ($98).
Lastly, see the palaces through gilded lenses ($135). Surely the sultans would approve.
For a dip back into time, start your night at La Mamounia's jazzy Le Churchill bar, where there's usually a live piano player tickling the ivories. A slim-fit button-down would do nicely, like this diamond-print version in coral red ($100).
Bring along a simple cream blazer if you're in the mood. Otherwise, vacation attire can be more lived-in, like these worn-out jeans ($195).
Give your usual desert boots a fall boost in a rich burgundy suede ($120).
On more casual nights, choose this woven placket henley with chambray trim instead ($160).
Most likely the nights in Marrakesh will be mild enough that you won't need an overcoat. Pack this hooded wool sweater instead, which will sub in nicely ($128).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of FreePeople.com; Zappos.com or its affiliates; Nordstrom, Inc.; Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates; EMINENT, INC. Women Night: Courtesy of CALYPSO ST. BARTH; Dillard's; www.anthropologie.com; CALYPSO ST. BARTH; BOP LLC. Men Day: Courtesy of BArneys New York; Nordstrom, Inc.; AEO Management Co.; Alternative Apparel; www.seavees.com. Men Night: Courtesy of BOP LLC.; Nordstrom, Inc.; SCOOP; www.rag-bone.com; BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP, INC.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1898 -- 7-Nt. Pacific Northwest River Cruise, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company
- $829* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $75 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $449 -- 5-Nt. Bermuda Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $419 & up -- 7-Nt. Caribbean Cruises incl. Extras & UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line