What to Pack: Maldives
This island nation, formed of 26 atolls, is a honeymooner's favorite. Sure, there are the unbelievably deluxe world-class resorts, but the Maldives has also been touting an ecotourism mindset of late (no surprise, given its ongoing concerns with rising sea levels and ocean pollution). If you're an outdoor adventurer, seek out excellent diving and snorkeling, or hire a boat to cruise the isles; or, opt to simply kick back and soak in the good beach life. Here are some vacation wardrobe picks, whatever your mood.
Situated on the Indian Ocean, the local vibe is equal parts beach bum and exotic fare. (Fun factoid: the Maldives also happens to be Asia's smallest country.) Pick a bohemian print for swimwear, such as this paisley bandeau set (top, $122; matching bottom, $85).
To cover up, a raffia sun hat with raw edging has a lovely feel ($24.99).
Hopping a dhoni boat? Be sure to bring a cover-up like this white dress with romantic crochet lace ($265).
Add on this lightweight pink cashmere scarf in case winds whip up ($165). (It can also pull extra duty during the flight or at night as an added accessory.)
This straw tote with orange fringe will keep all your wares together ($46.99).
Surf and Turf
Much of the Maldives is built around serious R & R. Even fancier venues have a laid-back atmosphere. Fantastically, there are also underwater dining venues, where this dip-dye shirt dress in white and ocean blue will suit the mood ($72.60).
No need to pack your stilettos, but if you prefer a little lift, go with a sturdier low heel like this mirrored sandal in silver ($450).
A pair of slim white jeans is always in season—well, at least when you're talking evening temperatures in the high 70s ($79.50).
Wear your whites with a bright print or bold color, such as this cobalt tank with cutout neckline (normally $44, currently on sale for $24.97).
Finally, a bit of texture: a water snake skin clutch in natural hues ($250).
Warm waters and a whopping 3,000 coral reefs make the Maldives an underwater paradise. Perhaps try out diving; there's a range of levels from beginner to advanced—first, slip on these oxford cloth swim trunks in a light coral pink ($34.99).
Before pulling on your wetsuit, this light gray twisted yarn tee will do ($39.50).
White Gucci striped rubber slides can go from posh hotel lobbies to the beach ($160).
A pair of classic Ray Bans is amped up in gold and rose-colored lenses ($195).
Kick back after a day in the sun and water in these cozy fleece shorts ($98).
From Sand to the TreesMany hotels and resorts in the Maldives offer unique dining experiences, such as the Soneva Fushi, reachable by air taxi, which offers dinners on the beach (honeymooners alert!); the hotel will also be launching a cruise service starting next year. Bring your dressier cargo pants such as these in khaki, offering a relaxed yet tailored fit ($159).
Roll up your pants to your ankles and go barefoot—it's the beach after all—but get there first in these simple navy sneakers ($98).
On top, a blue and green striped polo has the added perk of a contrast collar ($125).
Or, choose a less conventional pattern like this Western-style floral print button-down in airy cotton gauze ($98).
Lastly, put on a slim and sleek navy blue watch and give your iPhone a rest ($300).
Photo credits: Day Cruising: Courtesy of matchesfashion.com; matchesfashion.com; e4Hats.com Inc.; BOP LLC.; Amazon.com, Inc.; CALYPSO ST. BARTH or its affiliates. Surf and Turf: Courtesy of asos.com Ltd; lagarconne.com; macys.com; Gap Inc.; Lord & Taylor. Deep Diving: Courtesy of J.Crew; J.Crew; Bergdorf Goodman; ikkon.com; Bloomingdale's. From Sand to the Trees: Courtesy of BOP LLC.; Scotch & Soda 2013.; BananaRepublic.com; Ralph Lauren Media LLC; Mr Porter.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2105 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $629 & up -- Jamaica: All-Incl. Vacation w/Spa Credit & AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $559 -- Cruise Two Continents: 15 Nights plus $100 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $117-$133 -- All-Suite West Edmonton Hotel w/BreakfastHome2 Suites by Hilton West Edmonton
- $249-$299 -- Texas Hill Country 4-Star Resort, Save 20%JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
- $101 & up -- Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Beach Resort, 50% OffHotel Riu Palace Pacifico