What to Pack: Maldives
This island nation, formed of 26 atolls, is a honeymooner's favorite. Sure, there are the unbelievably deluxe world-class resorts, but the Maldives has also been touting an ecotourism mindset of late (no surprise, given its ongoing concerns with rising sea levels and ocean pollution). If you're an outdoor adventurer, seek out excellent diving and snorkeling, or hire a boat to cruise the isles; or, opt to simply kick back and soak in the good beach life. Here are some vacation wardrobe picks, whatever your mood.
Situated on the Indian Ocean, the local vibe is equal parts beach bum and exotic fare. (Fun factoid: the Maldives also happens to be Asia's smallest country.) Pick a bohemian print for swimwear, such as this paisley bandeau set (top, $122; matching bottom, $85).
To cover up, a raffia sun hat with raw edging has a lovely feel ($24.99).
Hopping a dhoni boat? Be sure to bring a cover-up like this white dress with romantic crochet lace ($265).
Add on this lightweight pink cashmere scarf in case winds whip up ($165). (It can also pull extra duty during the flight or at night as an added accessory.)
This straw tote with orange fringe will keep all your wares together ($46.99).
Surf and Turf
Much of the Maldives is built around serious R & R. Even fancier venues have a laid-back atmosphere. Fantastically, there are also underwater dining venues, where this dip-dye shirt dress in white and ocean blue will suit the mood ($72.60).
No need to pack your stilettos, but if you prefer a little lift, go with a sturdier low heel like this mirrored sandal in silver ($450).
A pair of slim white jeans is always in season—well, at least when you're talking evening temperatures in the high 70s ($79.50).
Wear your whites with a bright print or bold color, such as this cobalt tank with cutout neckline (normally $44, currently on sale for $24.97).
Finally, a bit of texture: a water snake skin clutch in natural hues ($250).
Warm waters and a whopping 3,000 coral reefs make the Maldives an underwater paradise. Perhaps try out diving; there's a range of levels from beginner to advanced—first, slip on these oxford cloth swim trunks in a light coral pink ($34.99).
Before pulling on your wetsuit, this light gray twisted yarn tee will do ($39.50).
White Gucci striped rubber slides can go from posh hotel lobbies to the beach ($160).
A pair of classic Ray Bans is amped up in gold and rose-colored lenses ($195).
Kick back after a day in the sun and water in these cozy fleece shorts ($98).
From Sand to the TreesMany hotels and resorts in the Maldives offer unique dining experiences, such as the Soneva Fushi, reachable by air taxi, which offers dinners on the beach (honeymooners alert!); the hotel will also be launching a cruise service starting next year. Bring your dressier cargo pants such as these in khaki, offering a relaxed yet tailored fit ($159).
Roll up your pants to your ankles and go barefoot—it's the beach after all—but get there first in these simple navy sneakers ($98).
On top, a blue and green striped polo has the added perk of a contrast collar ($125).
Or, choose a less conventional pattern like this Western-style floral print button-down in airy cotton gauze ($98).
Lastly, put on a slim and sleek navy blue watch and give your iPhone a rest ($300).
Photo credits: Day Cruising: Courtesy of matchesfashion.com; matchesfashion.com; e4Hats.com Inc.; BOP LLC.; Amazon.com, Inc.; CALYPSO ST. BARTH or its affiliates. Surf and Turf: Courtesy of asos.com Ltd; lagarconne.com; macys.com; Gap Inc.; Lord & Taylor. Deep Diving: Courtesy of J.Crew; J.Crew; Bergdorf Goodman; ikkon.com; Bloomingdale's. From Sand to the Trees: Courtesy of BOP LLC.; Scotch & Soda 2013.; BananaRepublic.com; Ralph Lauren Media LLC; Mr Porter.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $529 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to the Bahamas, $190 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $118 & up -- Philadelphia Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $539 & up -- 10-Nt. Mediterranean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $109 & up -- New York City Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $39 & up -- 1-BR Villa at 4-Diamond Beach Resort, 30% OffNorth Beach Plantation
- $1029* -- Fly Nonstop to Fiji from West Coast, R/T incl. TaxFiji Airways