What to Pack: Lisbon
This European capital, beautifully-situated on the Atlantic Ocean coastline, has a seductive mix of contemporary comforts with an easygoing Old World pace. In the spring and summer, Lisbon offers all the maritime charm of a city-beach combo, whereas fall and winter are delightfully mild, with less tourists (read: better access to local hot spots) and the mercury hovers in the mid-50s. If the weather doesn't have you booking your fare immediately, here are some luggage picks to get you in the holiday mood.
Lisbon, like many European cities, is high on walk-ability (plus or minus a few slippery hills). Tote a cross-body bag while checking out the Baixa district (or the lower town around the waterfront), like this quilted style in a deep wine red lambskin ($160.82), to keep your day look fuss free.
Cashmere is always a wise travel addition, as it's both lightweight and warm. This burgundy sweater with black leather shoulder patches ($269 at Club Monaco) would do well with your favorite denim.
For a rich bohemian feel, top your outfit off with a little black velvet jacket with romantic stitching detail ($49.95).
Back to accessories, this print scarf hits all the right autumn hues ($168).
Enjoy the Lisbon sunshine, but protect your peepers with these blue-gray sunglasses ($230 by Burberry).
When the sun dips, Lisbon's Bairro Alto neighborhood wakes up. The area is renowned for with a rollicking bar and nightlife scene that'll last into the wee hours. Our tip? Spring for drinks on the swanky rooftop of the Bairro Alto Hotel. Try on this paisley orange and red dress in silk and wool for starters ($279).
For a more casual take on evening dressing, these blue jeans are gussied up with quilted knee details and ankle zips ($39.95).
Wear them with a simple white tee, or this date night-worthy floral blouse ($49).
A bootie with a sturdy-heel ($112.99) will be a godsend when navigating cobblestone lanes at night.
And for brisk weather, a cozy wool coat in mustard ($119) has a cool European appeal.
Live Like Kings
The Castle of St. George with its turreted walls is a must-see daytime stop. Wear comfortable boots, such as these chukkas with Nike Lunar sole ($248), to wander the grounds.
While on your historical tour of Lisbon, stop by the Belem tower, with its white ocean-washed walls, in these gray garment-dyed chinos ($210).
A henley in olive stripe finishes the look ($88).
Or if you prefer to layer, try a print band tee with this textured oatmeal cardigan ($88).
Keep accessories to a minimum, like a single braided leather bracelet ($145), which steers clear of being too precious.
After dinner at, let's say, Assinatura, one of the finer establishments in town, head to a fado joint, to check out the local music scene. There are plenty of venues in Alfama and Bairro Alto, but for options slightly off the beaten tourist path, head to Graca instead. Dress is relaxed but an artful pick, like this blue chambray button down with pill print, can't hurt ($265).
This white and gray button down is also a great dinner-to-late night choice ($59.90).
A typical black jacket is amped up when texture comes into play, like the waxed finish on this moto style ($195).
Speaking of texture, corduroys are ripe for fall, especially in the color of a rich port ($220).
Round out your nighttime attire with a black boot that has some city attitude ($159).Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Club Monaco Corp.; Nordstrom, Inc.; QVC, Inc.; macys.com; www.hm.com. Women Night: Courtesy of Gap Inc.; ZAPPOS.COM OR ITS AFFILIATES; ZARA; www.hm.com; Club Monaco Corp. Men Day: Courtesy of: www.odinnewyork.com; www.singer22.com; COLE HAAN; www.gilesandbrother.com; http://us.topman.com. Men Night: Ralph Lauren Media LLC; ZARA; Nordstrom, Inc.; www.odinnewyork.com; Ralph Lauren Media LLC.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $109 & up -- New York City Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $284 & up -- 3-Day Cruise to Nassau w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines
- $609 & up -- Hawaii 3-Night Vacations w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $1397 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 7-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $499 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Trip, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com