What to Pack: Lake Tahoe
Ringed with aspens and firs and backed by the Sierra Nevada mountains, Lake Tahoe proposes a gorgeous escape into nature from several Californian cities (or Reno's casinos). With a variety of ski resorts, like local favorites Kirkwood and Sierra, or internationally known options like Squaw Valley and Heavenly, this alpine lake feels very much the winter wonderland. Here are some picks for bundling up in style.
From prints to vibrant colors, almost all is fair game when it comes to ski wear. Perhaps take an artful approach with this Mondrian-style insulated jacket ($229.99).
Underneath, warm up with mid-layers, like this high-collar fleece in navy ($34.95).
Black pants are a staple both on and off the slope. North Face's latest slim-fitting version offers weather protection without the bulk ($160).
Gear has come a long way in the last decade. Beginner to intermediate level skis, like this pair by K2, are a great entry point ($399.99).
Don't forget your cold-weather extras like quality ski socks, here in space-dyed aqua blue ($17.99).
Hit up the slope-side bar directly for a few, or head home first for a change of attire. Make your pieces count by choosing those with built-in technology, like this dusty lavender V-neck long-sleeved tee made of Heattech material ($12.90).
Layers that you can shed easily are a smooth way to transition from freezing temperatures outside to overworking heaters indoors. A cardigan with a lodge feel, such as this printed design ($140), nails the spirit.
Though a black coat is the easiest way to go, an unexpected dark hue like the rich merlot of this full-length puffer ($59.50) can also pair well with many items.
Rounding out the particulars, shearling-lined boots will be a toasty treat after a day spent in ski boots ($65.99).
A mini carryall with handy cross-body strap will allow you to keep your mittened hands tucked into your coat pockets ($258).
Though Sierra has the crunchier, more local vibe of the Lake Tahoe resorts, it's an excellent boarding mountain and nice option to escape the tourist crowds. Shred the runs in this graphite-gray plaid snowboard jacket ($299).
For colder days, a red half-zip fleece is an excellent liner ($129).
Likewise, a neck gaiter ($25) provides added protection against whipping winds. It's especially a lifesaver when on the lift.
When it comes to equipment, the latest devices are a relative breeze, like these cherry snowboard boots with a Boa lacing system ($229.95). Click to tighten and away you go.
Another nifty all-day bit: Tote your liquids with you via this low-profile Camelbak hydration pack ($55).
With a range of properties from hotel rooms to rental houses, Tahoe has got you covered when it comes to seasonal accommodations. House gatherings are a relaxing yet social way to end the day. Start with this plaid button-down in navy and russet ($98), a closet classic.
On top, a V-neck wool-blend sweater is a layering staple ($39.75).
Your usual denim will work well, but for a twist, try an overdyed pair in rustic brown ($150).
These handsome black leather outdoor boots are great for fetching more firewood or longer outdoor jaunts to a friend's place or local watering hole ($200).
Lastly, in case the occasion calls for a more stylish topper, try a navy parka with quilting detail for a slightly trimmer fit ($145.19).
Photo credits: Heavenly Slopes: Courtesy of Peter Glenn Ski and Sport; rei.com; Peter Glenn Ski and Sport; DICK'S Sporting Goods; porterstahoe.com. Après-Ski: Courtesy of UNIQLO CO.; BananaRepublic.com; COACH, INC.; Ralph Lauren Media, LLC; UNIQLO CO. Sierra Runs: Courtesy of Patagonia, Inc.; Backcountry Gear; The North Face; Camelback Products, LLC.; The House. House Party: Courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; Danner Boots | Media Portal; unionmadegoods.com; billyreid.com; asos.com Ltd.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $909 & up -- Greece: Escorted Athens Land-Only Trip w/CruiseApple Vacations
- $999 & up -- Maui: 5-Nt. Trip w/Hawaiian Activities & AirApple Vacations
- $139-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $39 & up -- Amtrak: One-Way Northeast Fares, 25% OffAmtrak
- $235 & up -- S.C. 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $1599 -- Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Four Season From ChicagoAer Lingus Vacation Store