What to Pack: Kilimanjaro
For many, the trip to Kilimanjaro is the summit of a lifetime—and for good reason. Its trio of volcanic cones are unforgettable with diverse habitats, satisfying terrain, seeming accessibility (with seven routes to the peak), as well as, of course, the unparalleled views from the top. You plan your route and prep for the altitude; we'll pack your bags so you can look chic while you climb.
Especially for those seeking a proper ascent, a climbing pack is an essential. Go for a size that's tailored to women. And, actually, many lady hikers do well with junior sizes (which are cheaper) like this green pack. ($159 at REI).
Taking into consideration the various climates from downright hot (at the base) to frigid temperatures up top, pack with layers in mind. This seamless wicking long sleeve tee is perfectly versatile ($44.95).
Pull on hiking pants as you get closer to the peak. ($179):
Then, hiking shorts in light gray stretch nylon are handy for warmer temps or for when you're nearer to base camp ($48).
Look for upper support that's firm but not too tight like this blue tank with a built in bra. ($52)
Temperatures can drop significantly after sundown. This zip-up hoody will keep you toasty ($128).
If need be, layer the hoody over this lightweight wool sweater in navy zig zag ($100).
A headlamp with both white and red lights are a savvy addition to any pack—they'll illuminate the way for, say, an inconvenient bathroom break ($39.95).
Particularly if you're summiting in cooler weather, look for technical outerwear like this hooded jacket in waterproof yet breathable ripstop ($99).
Or try this puffy vest in birch white, which will keep you cool and collected ($169).
Trekking by Day
First of all, hiking boots are almost always worth the splurge. And this rugged pair in brown and red supports ankles too ($199.98).
Prevent blisters by layering up your socks ($26.99 for a two-pack). Bring moleskin patches for extra insurance.
Invest in convertible hiking pants, too, which zip away at the knees, are double the fun for a fraction of the cost of separate pieces ($59.95).
Look for breathable materials or at least those that wick away sweat, like this red tee ($45).
And for trips like this, it's tough to go wrong with a cozy zip-up fleece ($138.95).
Cool and Cozy Nights
Heat regulation is sometimes less about actual thermometer readings than the wind gage. Go for a windstopper jacket, for evening protections, like this one in green ($349).
For chillier nights, these tan gloves ($35.95), which are made for climbing, but work for just about everything, are a cinch to pack.
Depending on the room in your pack, consider a few familiar camp-oriented pieces like these flannel-lined loose khakis ($44.99).
A cotton button-down, shown here in green ($68.95), is also a good piece to decompress with.
Lastly, fleece is as inviting as a roaring fire on a wintry day. (As in...very inviting.) Try the cozy material in a different shape, like this Marmot long-sleeve shirt ($84.01).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Gap Inc.; Columbia Sportswear Company; www.rei.com; LOLÃ‹ INC.; Patagonia, Inc. Women Night: Courtesy of Patagonia, Inc.; The North Face; Athleta; L.L.Bean Inc.; SmartWool. Men Day: Courtesy of L.L.Bean Inc.; www.campmor.com; New Moosejaw, LLC; Icebreaker; DICK'S Sporting Goods. Men Night: Courtesy of Masseys Professional Outfitters; Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates; Cabela's Inc.; Patagonia, Inc.; New Moosejaw, LLC.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $802* & up -- Europe Summer Fare Sale from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1599 -- Peru & Machu Picchu 7-Night Trip w/Air, Save $580IB Travelin
- $5795* & up -- Business Class Flights for 2 on Luxe AirlineQatar Airways
- $69 & up -- Orlando Hotel Sale through Summer, 60% OffBookIt.com
- $69 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into Fall, O/WVirgin America