What to Pack: Florida Keys
Known for its Key limes and endless vistas of the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, the Florida Keys are one picture-perfect getaway. Explore the coral archipelago, which stretches off the southern tip of Florida, via ferry or car, with the windows down while driving the famous Seven Mile Bridge. Best of all (especially if you’ve been suffering the polar vortexes), the Keys have a tropical climate with its own distinctive flora and fauna. Below, some picks on what to bring for a perfectly stylish vacation.
Just a few minutes away from the mainland, Key Largo is a convenient entry point to the Keys. Dive enthusiasts will have plenty to explore, including the reefs off John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. Swim attire is a must, perhaps in a tropical floral with a halter shape top ($52) and matching bottom ($44).
When not wearing a wetsuit, a few cover-up items come in handy, such as this aqua-and-orange-striped dress ($225).
Preppy separates also work for oceanside lunches or a stroll on the Lake Largo boardwalk. White jeans are a great neutral piece to build on ($159).
On top, try a burst of color, like a light Caribbean blue polo ($98.50).
A few sun accessories, such as this straw hat ($58), round out the beach bag.
Given the waterfront setting and vacation climate, the Keys stay relaxed even after the sun dips below the horizon. Flats will do, but if you’re looking for a lift, these gold platform wedges offer three-plus inches on a cushy cork sole ($198).
When in Florida, both lively prints and hues can come out to play. See: coral pink patterned pants by Lilly Pulitzer ($148).
Knits in natural fibers, such as this cotton-silk blend sweater in cream, offer airy coverage ($245).
Alternatively, this printed rose top with lace back is a romantic take on separates ($365).
Pair with a petal pink skirt with a flattering drawstring waist ($300).
About four miles long and just a mile wide (read: plenty of oceanfront and private beaches), Key West has a storied history, playing host in the past to writers Ernest Hemingway and Tennessee Williams. Dress for the climate in cotton tees, shwon here in sunshine yellow ($40).
For a bit of flash, try these funky swim shorts ($250) on for size.
Balance out more daring choices with basics like a light gray hoodie in French terry ($128).
A pair of classic tortoiseshell shades will work at home and on vacation ($350).
Kick back in flip-flops and these mainstays: white canvas sneaks ($65).
A white bib-front henley ($150) can sub for your usual tee.
Keeping with the day’s beach theme, accessorize sparingly. A braided leather belt offers both function and visual texture ($175).
Photo Credit: Women Day: courtesy of J.CREW; SEVEN FOR ALL MANKIND; J.MCLAUGHLIN; Athleta; BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP, INC. Women Night: courtesy of Net-A-Porter; Nordstrom, Inc.; Saks Fifth Avenue; STYLEBOP.com; Net-A-Porter. Men Day: courtesy of Alternative Apparel; SATURDAYS SURF NYC LLC.; Vilebrequin, Inc.; BOP LLC.; BOP LLC. Men Night: courtesy of www.bonobos.com; Ralph Lauren Media LLC; BOP LLC.; Club Monaco Corp.; Mr Porter
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $749 & up -- Costa Rica 3-Night All-Inclusive Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $2498 -- Upscale Bahamas & Bermuda Cruise incl. R/T AirfareOceania Cruises
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $185-$235 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% OffWestin St. Francis
- $127 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $779 & up -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star Dreams Trip w/AirApple Vacations