What to Pack: Dallas
Host to a recent Chanel show and home to several contemporary art institutions, Dallas has emerged in recent years on the international cultural scene with Texan aplomb. Add on milder winter weather than most American metropolises and it's a smart time to visit the country's ninth-largest city. Here are a few suggestions for essential items to bring along, so you don't have to pack a Texas-sized suitcase.
Head over to the Dallas Arts District for a taste of the local arts scene. Spanning some 19 blocks, this swath of downtown is great for kids, as well (check out Target First Saturdays at the Nasher Sculpture Center for elementary school kids). Of course, you'll need to wear boots made for walking, here in camel with spangly gold detailing ($225).
Denim is a tried-and-true Texas staple and particularly ideal for vacation days when designed with a bit of stretch ($189).
On top, a white blouse gets a romantic makeover courtesy of a peasant neckline and tonal embroidery ($78).
Afternoon temperatures can hover in the high 60s to low 70s. Wardrobe translation: floral dresses, like this Liberty-print style ($53.27), paired with airy cardigans.
A touch of fringe channels old-school Dallas, but this new convertible backpack shape is a modern reinvention ($59.99).
Deep Ellum Evenings
Into live music? Head to Dallas's Deep Ellum neighborhood, set slightly off the well-worn path, for a night of jazz and blues, along with other nightlife options. Temperatures can dip sharply at night, sometimes into the 30s. Pull out your knits, such as this heather-gray cashmere sweater dress with leopard-print sleeves ($225)
You'll need a coat, too, and this hooded faux-fur style has a flamboyant sense of drama ($218).
Add just a touch of sparkle (really channeling your inner Dallas star) with crystal chandelier earrings ($245).
Or, a mother-of-pearl clutch lends lustrous appeal ($395).
If your plans include a fancier night out, this festive dress features demure lace in a fiery hue ($245).
Sports and BBQ
Dallas is a sports town and football certainly ranks tops. Start the day with this Dallas Cowboys baseball cap ($34.99) and check out the college games if the season is right.
Gray jeans will ground vibrant hues or wear more simply with white or black pieces ($189).
Bring along a sweater, here with a sporty sweatshirt influence ($88), in case the weather later sours.
Standing on your feet for most of the day? These blue court sneakers ($253) are functional yet well-designed.
Chef Stephen Pyles is on a hot streak with his latest, Stampede 66. Cozy up to the bar before sampling the grub, an upscale take on Tex-Mex. Go dressy-casual in this dark-red gingham check button-down ($195), especially if you have tickets, perhaps at American Airlines Center, for a show.
Slip on this natty brown-velvet blazer for winter cheer ($59.99).
Temper the tailored jacket with classic straight-leg denim ($250).
Think print and texture for your finishing touches. Brown suede boots feel rich and right for colder nights ($345).
Meanwhile, a maroon wool scarf has a masculine feel when finished in a traditional menswear print ($240).
Photo credits: Art Daze: Courtesy of J.CREW; macys.com; Lord & Taylor; Lord & Taylor; Ralph Lauren Media, LLC. Deep Ellum Evenings: Courtesy of Saks Fifth Avenue; Nordstrom, Inc.; Dannijo; Nordstrom, Inc.; White + Warren. Sports and BBQ: Courtesy of THVM; http://shop.dallascowboys.com; Stag; Mr Porter; Need Supply Company. Bar Crawl: Courtesy of Neiman Marcus; Stag; Neiman Marcus; ZARA; www.farfetch.com.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $209 & up -- Baja Mexico 3-Day Carnival CruiseCarnival Cruise Lines
- $399 & up -- Alaska 7-Night Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1799 & up -- Melbourne & Sydney 8-Nt. Trip w/Air, Save $760Goway Travel
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego
- $865 & up -- Waikiki: Moana Surfrider 3-Nt. Stay w/Air & CarPleasant Holidays
- $769 & up -- 4-Night Riviera Maya Escape w/Air, $200 OffCheapCaribbean.com