What to Pack: Chicago
Whether you go for the food, the shopping, the sports, or just for a good, old fashioned city break, Chicago offers something for everyone. President Obama's old stomping grounds are brutally brisk come winter, but the fall is the perfect time to grab a scarf and explore the Windy City. Pack these cool kid clothes and hit the town.
Magnificent Mile Days
Shop till you drop is the name of the game on Chicago's Magnificent Mile, lined with shops big and small. For a day of browsing the racks, start with this plaid poplin top ($450), which offers equal parts fashion and comfort.
Layer like a pro with this gray mixed yarn sweater on top for chillier days ($68).
Footwear should be easy to walk in without skimping on style. These metallic silver oxfords are a fun take on the metallic trend ($258).
The temps in October usually hover in the 60s, but the sun still shines bright. These tortoiseshell sunglasses will offer the right protection ($195).
Simple shapes travel well, like this tote in blue ($179.95). Plus, the pebbled leather will hold up better than, say, a smooth lambskin, hiding scratches and wear and tear.
A confessed gourmand? This city has a red-hot dining scene. Try to snag a coveted seat at Alinea, where chef Grant Achatz offers epic tasting menus that use wildly fun molecular gastronomy techniques. Dress for the occasion in a burgundy and black color-block dress ($82).
(Can't score a reservation? MK Chicago is more under the radar but also excellent.)
Especially for fall, a pointy high-heeled bootie (this style in black pony by Nine West, $149) gives any look a polished feel.
Pair those heels with black skinny pants, here accented with neat zips ($79.90).
A solid trench coat provides the right amount of coverage and warmth for breezier evenings ($169).
Finish it all off with a pair of silver hoops in an oversize shape for a touch of nighttime drama ($64).
Into the Millennium
A straight fit jean, here in a vibrant deep blue, are fashion-forward enough for exploring Chicago's chic streets, while still maintaining a basic and simple look ($200).
On top, a maroon henley ($95) keeps the cool colors going while staying super comfy.
Or on sunnier days, pick this broken-in pocket tee ($24.50) for a rakish, no-effort look.
Cinch the look with waxed leather belt ($170) that's not too precious.
Don't ask a New Yorker, but Chicagoans know their way around a slice. The city is famous for its deep dish pizza, so give it a taste at Lou Malnati's for a casual night out. Throw on darker colored chinos (to hide any dribbling pizza sauce) like this olive-brown pair ($158).
Layer up for chillier nights by adding texture to the t-shirt, with this nubby gray sweater ($268.33)
Or pack a red tartan plaid shirt ($79.50) that will make for a smooth segue into the cooler months.
And in a nod to Chicagoans' undying love of baseball, this baseball jacket with leather sleeves is chic, sporty, and will let you fit right in with the local crowd ($450).
Photo Credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Kirna Zabete; J.CREW; COLE HAAN; www.stitchchicago.com; Topshop. Women Night: Courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; Nine West; ZARA; ZAPPOS.COM OR ITS AFFILIATES; TOMMY HILFIGER LICENSING, LLC. Men Day: Courtesy of Need Supply Company; J.CREW; Nordstrom, Inc.; Contextclothing.com and Fos5.com; G-STAR RAW. Men Night: Courtesy of 9 TENANTS, LLC; Club Monaco Corp.; Club Monaco Corp.; asos.com Ltd; Arrow and Arrow.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $849 -- 10-Nt. Asia Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/$150 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1499 -- Suite: Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$1250 in ExtrasCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $599 & up -- 4-Star All-Incl. Punta Cana Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $1145 & up -- 6-Nt. Berlin & Prague Package w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1368* & up -- Fly to Australia: 6 Cities on Sale, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1499 -- Hawaiian Islands 15-Night Cruise incl. $300 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet