What to Pack: Cape Cod
There is a handful of destinations that are prime sunshine-y spots for East Coasters and Cape Cod is a summer staple. Just in time for this week's July 4th celebrations, we've done the heavy lifting and packed your perfect weekend bag for this iconic Massachusetts destination. You're just that much closer to fun in the sun and glorious sunsets, complete with cocktails.
With a preppy New England spirit, think maritime style and crisp shapes during the day. This personalized Ralph Lauren canvas tote with smart blue embroidery will keep all your beach wares together ($99). Throw in sunscreen and perhaps this admiral blue cotton polo dress ($165) with striped espadrilles ($36) to head to the idyllic (though oddly named) Corporation Beach on the bay. Get ready to swim in this vintage-style maillot with a feminine neckline ($29.99). On breezier days or to stroll the gorgeous Bass Hole Boardwalk in Yarmouth, pull on these chino shorts ($27) with a white button-down, or alternately, slip on this cotton whale sweater ($88) with white cut-offs.
Explore Provincetown and its vibrant dining scene (try out two new spots: The Canteen for seafood and Uma Loucura for Brazilian fare in the Aquarium Marketplace) in a sprightly floral print sundress ($160). Pair the frock with calf skin ankle strap wedges for easy strolling ($148.80) and keep hands free by slipping on this spectator-detail mini crossbody bag by Tory Burch in yellow ($250). The sunny hue also works well in stripes ($59 for this shift dress) or as an accent like these bow earring studs ($48). For a more polished look, bring along this red and white ponte blazer ($71.99) to throw over a white tee or tank, and these summer-ready white cropped jeans, which can also be worn cuffed ($59.50).
Head of the Meadow Days
The area is still suffering some damage from Superstorm Sandy, but the community is rebuilding. The gorgeous Head of the Meadow beach is now reopened with limited facilities; be one of the first to re-discover this windy and unforgettable stretch in blue and white striped swim trunks ($69) and yacht club print tee by Brooks Brothers ($39.50). (Race Point Beach is also crowd favorite, but beware of strong currents.) Keeping with the nautical vibe, add a three whales yellow tee ($25), anchor print shorts ($98), and sail cloth flip-flops ($51) to the mix. Want to go whole hog with the sailing theme? Snap up one of these beach totes ($105) for lugging necessary wares—they're made from vintage sails. Lastly, classic sunglasses like these Ray Ban wayfarers with blue trim ($160) will go with just about everything.
Another destination for good eats is Yarmouth Port where restaurants like the Inaho for sushi and Lyric for classic old school Cape Cod dining are top of the list. Wear a pair of madras plaid shorts ($44.95) with a relaxed linen-cotton blend shirt ($44.99). A silvery gray polo would work well too ($92), and it'll also go well with muted red chinos ($165), a New England men's wardrobe staple it seems. Wear the outfit with a gray and red anchor bracelet ($80) and woven Sperry Topsiders ($125) worn without socks. Finally, tuck in this salmon seersucker-gingham button-down by New England favorite L.L. Bean ($39.95) for another evening option.
Where to Stay
Provincetown offers the most variety in accommodations. Families or larger parties may want to explore the summer rental market (although most in peak season will require week or month-long stays). There are also charming and well-kept B&Bs with modern amenities like White Porch Inn. We suggest splurging on the rooms with private porches. The Carpe Diem Guesthouse and Spa is another savvy stay. There's both breakfast and wine hour, and a pleasant second floor yoga and meditation space for brief mental getaway. (Note: no kids or pets allowed at this property.)
Hotel-lovers will be tempted by the Crowne Pointe Historic Inn & Spa. Think stunning architecture and waterfront grounds, with a boatload of amenities and services to match.
For more travel and fashion, follow @beeshapiro.
Photo credits: Women Day: Courtesy of Ralph Lauren Media LLC; C. Wonder; Lacoste; BOP LLC; Target Brands Inc; Kate Spade Saturday; J.CREW or its affiliates. Woman Night: Courtesy of ANN INC.; Lord & Taylor; Tory Burch LLC; Dorothy Perkins; BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP INC.; Dorothy Perkins; Kate Spade Saturday. Men Day: Courtesy of BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP INC; SWELL.COM; PEI Licensing Inc.; BROOKS BROTHERS GROUP INC.; LUXOTTICA GROUP; Lilly Pulitzer; Seabags or its affiliates. Men Night: Courtesy of Nordstrom, Inc.; Eddie Bauer LLC.; L.L.Bean Inc.; L.L.Bean Inc.; Lacoste; MIANSAI BY MICHAEL SAIGER; Sperry Top-Sider.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1664 & up -- Iceland: 5-Nt. Adventure incl. Tours & AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1731 & up -- Edinburgh: Luxe Vacation w/Air & DiningGreat Value Vacations
- $289 & up -- 4-Star Times Square Hotel, 10% OffSheraton New York Times Square
- $95-$133 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star Hotel thru Fall, Save 25%The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
- $141 & up -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $7099 & up -- 4-Star Australia 11-Night Vacation w/AirDown Under Endeavours