What to Pack: Cambodia
With its rich (if sometimes grisly) history, intoxicating culture, and gorgeous mix of architecture, Cambodia serves up sights and experiences in a mesmerizing brew. Soak up the atmosphere of Angkor Wat, try the local fragrant cuisine in the vibrant capital Phnom Penh, or bask in the sunny rays of the beachfront town of Sihanoukville. Whichever destination you start with, here are a variety of packing ideas to carry you from temple to beach to city with ease.
The largest religious monument in the world, stand amongst the bas-reliefs of Angkor Wat in comfortable pieces like these cargo shorts in tropics-friendly fabric ($44.95).
A draped tee on top, here in goji berry red, gives shape without restricting movement ($40).
Meanwhile, keep soles happy in sneakers, like this knitted pair in festive bright pink by Nike ($129.97).
If you're traveling with a dressier tour group, or perhaps heading to dinner directly after, sport a pair of lounge pants, fashioned from breathable fabrics like silk or linen ($264).
On top, a camisole is a versatile travel piece. This pink pick features a burnout texture for added visual intrigue ($56).
Stay in Phnom Penh and you could happily eat your way across the city. In most venues, you can get away with fairly casual clothing, although Friends, a popular Cambodian tapas-type place, is slightly more upscale. (Also worth exploring: The Lost Room.) A mid-length dress in black-and-white marble tie-dye is an easy solution ($275).
Both options go well with a pair of sleek wedges, here with beige elastic cross-straps and a walkable cork base ($59.99).
For nomadic flair—you are traveling nearly halfway around the globe, after all—sling on this cross-body knit bag with funky embellishment ($105).
You could spend your days happily temple-hopping (aside from Angkor Wat, there are plenty of spectacular specimens like Ta Prohm and Banteay Srei in Siem Reap), or for a day trip, head to Tonlé Sap lake and its markets and floating villages. Be adventure-ready in quick-dry shorts, here in a russet red ($44.95).
Especially with the humidity, pack a few cotton tees. We like this light gray style with a simple graphic ($28).
Lightweight trail shoes will have you covered in multiple types of terrain. This black and red pair is lined with Gore-Tex in case conditions are wet ($160).
A sturdy Dopp kit will see you around the world and then some ($110, by Filson).
Pick a pair of shades that can go sporty or city with the switch of an outfit. These burgundy frames with orange lens by Carrera do just the trick ($99).
While some travelers stop in Cambodia strictly for temples, there's much to be said of the gorgeous coastline. Sihanoukville, situated on the Gulf of Thailand, has several beaches to choose from and is a great home base for exploring the nearby islands. Stick with lightweight materials like these chinos in cotton gabardine ($250).
A bright color on top, such as a pink polo, will go great with a tan ($39).
Or, you can even get away with sweatpants, especially if they're a somewhat tailored cut ($85).
Pair the slouchy bottoms with a statement top like this floral crewneck tee ($98).
Lastly, two-strap rubber sole sandals ($135) are a sweet way to end the day.
Photo credits: Temples Galore: Courtesy of L.L.Bean Inc.; Nike, Inc.; Aritzia LP.; BOP LLC.; topshop.com or its affiliates. City Fare: Courtesy of MATCHESFASHION.COM; J.Crew.; hm.com; Belk, Inc. & Belk eCommerce LLC.; BOP LLC. Lake Days: Courtesy of L.L.Bean Inc.; Need Supply Company.; merrell.com; BOP LLC.; Nordstrom, Inc. Salty Breezes: Courtesy of apc.fr; Scotch & Soda 2013; J.Crew; BOP LLC.; oaknyc.com.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $39 & up -- Amtrak: One-Way Northeast Fares, 25% OffAmtrak
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1199 & up -- London & Dublin 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelEuropeanDestinations.com
- $999 -- 10-Nt. Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$150 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com