What to Pack: Alaskan Cruise
This is not your average Caribbean mega-cruise packing list. An Alaskan cruise is a vacation of a different sort. Sailing by stunning glaciers, wild animals, and rarely explored sites is an adventurer's holiday. But no matter how deep into the frosty wilderness you go, you can still look chic while staying warm. The summer months are prime time for booking this intrepid cruise holiday... We're just here to help you pack.
Temperature regulation and comfort are top priorities when packing for an Alaskan adventure. Active-wear brand Icebreaker, in particular, makes merino wool pieces like this striped wrap sweater that are functional and also super cute ($83.99). Be prepared to layer, like with this turquoise tank with built-in bra underneath ($19.90) and this softshell jacket in jade green, which will repel bouts of light rain ($95). On active days, this dressier hiking pant by Royal Robbins will do you right ($75), while stretchy boot cut jeans (the cut easily goes over outdoor footwear, $115) with flap-back pockets ($42.99 by Wrangler) are good for spending time on the boat. We like the idea of wearing the jeans with a linen sweater ($258) like this one with a rustic patchwork pattern.
On some cruise lines, dressing for dinner is still part of the schedule. Ride the line between style and comfort with these no-slip wedge sandals ($228), burgundy print dress ($29.90), and classic jean jacket by Levi's ($88). Adding a few separates will also give you more options for night, such as this sweet summer skirt ($148) or sailor's sweatshirt in fine merino wool and feminine bateau neckline($190). Keep accessories no-fuss, with perhaps a single accent, like this resin ring with gold accent ($85) or a fuchsia and orange infinity scarf ($19.99).
Exploring by Daylight
Especially if your cruise itinerary includes forays into national parks, a backpack, like this heritage-style by Jansport ($120), will come in handy. Throw on a wool breathable t-shirt ($44.99) with gray hiking pants ($64 by L.L. Bean). A lightweight rain repellent jacket in glacier white ($103.95) and sporty sunglasses ($109.95) will round out the look. For less active endeavors, easy-going twill shorts in burgundy ($105) goes well with a light gray hooded pullover ($54) and red stripe v-neck tee ($22.95)
For stopovers in cities like Anchorage, check the weather beforehand. Depending on where you'll be, Alaska's summer season enjoys relatively temperatures hovering in the low 60s during the day and dipping into the 50s and even 40s at night. Bundle up in a cashmere waffle-knit crew sweater ($249.50) and layered over this jacquard button-down in periwinkle blue if need be ($203) and your favorite pair of jeans. For a lighter option, choose this gray stripe henley instead with an artsy light green tee ($30) and olive chinos cut from material originally developed for the military ($98). Both will pair well a simple desert boot—this style is built on the classic Birkenstock cork sole, $118—and brown leather belt ($34.95). And if you forgot something, a stop into the Anchorage REI should solve things. The store has a great rental program for more outdoorsy activities, such as camping stoves, sleeping bags, and mountaineering gear should you need to fend for yourself.
Ready to book? Find the perfect Alaskan cruise for you with our Best Alaskan Cruises For All Types of Travelers story. Thank us later.
Women Day: Courtesy of Outdoor Research; rei.com; www.joie.com; Backcountry.com; 2013 Express; 2013 VF CORPORATION;1999 - 2013 Planet, Inc. Women Night: Courtesy of UNIQLO CO., LTD.;Ariat International, Inc.; 2012 LEVI STRAUSS & CO.;www.worldmarket.com; usonline.apc.fr;anthropologie.com. Men Day: Courtesy of Paragon Sports Co. LLC; Gap Inc.;www.joinerynyc.com; VF OUTDOOR, INC; 1995-2013 New Moosejaw, LLC; L.L.Bean Inc.; 1995-2013 New Moosejaw, LLC; www.rvca.com. Men Night: Courtesy of shop.outlier.cc; 2013 Brook Farm General Store; 1997 - 2013 Gap Inc.; www.joinerynyc.com; 2013 Club Monaco Corp.;2013 CADET;RISKY BUSINESS, LLC.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $1394 & up -- Ireland: 6-Night Dublin Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $118 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $2175 & up -- Scotland: Castle & Manor Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations