What to Do in Beaver Creek (Besides Skiing)
By Haley Shapley
Colorado's Beaver Creek is known as a luxury destination with fabulous skiing opportunities for the whole family—but that doesn't mean you have to be strapped into those two sticks on your feet for the whole trip. There are ample other ways to indulge in this posh winter wonderland.
Practice your triple Salchows. On Monday evenings, the centrally located Beaver Creek Village Ice Rink is decked out with flashing lights, '70s music, and costumed staff members for Disco Skate Night. You can take a spin any day of the week, though, from noon to 9 pm.
Bliss out. Start your visit to the Allegria Spa with a trip to the Aqua Sanitas, a hydrotherapy water sanctuary with hot pools, a cold rain shower, a wintergreen-scented steam room with fiber optic lights, and the tepidarium, where you can relax on heated loungers while your body returns to its normal temperature. Treatments like the Javanese Lulur (a body scrub to prepare Javanese princesses for their wedding day) and the new Slumber Massage (don't be surprised if you're relaxed enough to snooze in the middle of it) will help you feel sufficiently pampered.
Chow down in rustic luxury. Lots of good dining options abound in Beaver Creek, including a five-course meal at the cozy Beano's Cabin. Start by riding a snowcat-pulled sleigh up to the restaurant, where you can then change into provided slippers and settle in under the wooden rafters and antler chandeliers. Entrée selections include a whiskey-glazed Berkshire porterhouse, rainbow trout, and potato dumplings.
Go on an art walk. Just as the landscape is dotted with outdoor bronze statues, the village is dotted with art galleries, with eye candy ranging from the ornate jewelry at J. Cotter Gallery to the wildlife-inspired works at The Sportsman's Gallery & Paderewski Fine Art to the detailed sculptures at Knox Galleries.
Become one with nature. You can still enjoy the snow-covered mountains without flying downhill on skis or snowboards. Experience the beautiful scenery at a slower pace atop snowshoes. If you've never tried it before, don't worry—if you can walk, you can snowshoe. Stop by the Nordic Sports Center for rental equipment and a trail map to venture out on your own, or sign up for a guided tour. On Tuesday afternoons, the Nature Valley Family Snowshoe Tour is free.
Get some more s'mores. Gather 'round the fire pit on the slopeside back patio of the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort from 4 to 5 pm to toast the day with complimentary s'mores (you don't have to be a guest to partake). Traditional marshmallows are joined by a rotating selection of house-made confections; flavors could include berry, root beer float, orangesicle, or toffee, to name but a few. The artisan ones are a little tougher to toast just right, but you can practice (and munch) all you want.
Photo credits: Beaver Creek Village Ice Rink courtesy of Vail Resorts; Allegria Spa courtesy of Park Hyatt Beaver Creek; Beano's Cabin courtesy of Vail Resorts; Snowshoeing via Shutterstock; Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort mountainside courtesy of Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Washington State
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 6 Must-Have French Beauty Products
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- $159 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Weekends this SpringWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $99 -- Palm Springs 4-Diamond Resort w/$25 Credit, 45% OffGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $349 & up -- Caribbean Cruise Sale w/Unlimited Drinks & MoreNorwegian Cruise Line
- $99 -- Florida: Captiva Hotel w/Daily Breakfast and ExtrasCaptiva Island Inn
- $89 -- Palm Springs 4-Diamond Resort: Spa Day w/BubblyGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $89 -- Ft. Lauderdale Oceanfront Resort, 25% OffOcean Sky Hotel & Resort