Waldorf Astoria Hotel Opens in Panama
Wild and rugged Panama welcomed the opening of Waldorf Astoria Panama this month with a swanky spa and four restaurants.
This is the first Waldorf Astoria property in Latin America and it is located in Panama City's Calle Uruguay, an entertainment district that's a 15-minute drive from Tocumen International Airport, 20 minutes from the Panama Canal, and two blocks from the city center. Also: "Restaurant Row" is right outside the hotel's door.
With 130 rooms and suites, plus residences, the design at Waldorf Astoria Panama is striking, with all of it imagined by ba-house/KNF in Miami. Timeless elegance is the theme, reflected in high ceilings, exotic woods, and lots of glass and crystals. That luxury extends to each room where there is a high-definition flat-screen TV, WiFi, alarm clock with MP3-player connection, and a spacious marble bath outfitted with a rain shower. Guests also get to try True Waldorf Service where they are paired with a concierge to act as an ambassador during their stay.
At the four restaurants, executive chef Kalych Padro Alvarado dishes up creative sips and bites, like sushi (at Ginger Sushi Bar & Lounge), French brasserie-style food all day long featuring local ingredients (BRIO Brasserie); poolside snacks and cocktails (Bungalow Terrace & Pool Bar); and aperitifs (The Peacock Alley Lobby Bar).
Luxury continues at the hotel's 2,000-square-foot Waldorf Astoria Spa with five treatment rooms and Babor products, as well as a 2,000-square-foot fitness center, and an outdoor swimming pool decorated with gold tiles.
Rates at Waldorf Astoria Panama start at $169 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona
- $1995 -- Europe's Newest River Cruise: 7 Nights at $600 OffEmerald Waterways
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxury Caribbean Cruises on Windstar, 50% OffWindstar Cruises
- $53 & up -- Hotels in Mesa, Arizona up to 45% offVisit Mesa
- $3199 & up -- China: 5-Star, 20-Night Tour w/Cruise & AirSinorama Holidays
- $9.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com