Waldorf Astoria Hotel Opens in Panama
Wild and rugged Panama welcomed the opening of Waldorf Astoria Panama this month with a swanky spa and four restaurants.
This is the first Waldorf Astoria property in Latin America and it is located in Panama City's Calle Uruguay, an entertainment district that's a 15-minute drive from Tocumen International Airport, 20 minutes from the Panama Canal, and two blocks from the city center. Also: "Restaurant Row" is right outside the hotel's door.
With 130 rooms and suites, plus residences, the design at Waldorf Astoria Panama is striking, with all of it imagined by ba-house/KNF in Miami. Timeless elegance is the theme, reflected in high ceilings, exotic woods, and lots of glass and crystals. That luxury extends to each room where there is a high-definition flat-screen TV, WiFi, alarm clock with MP3-player connection, and a spacious marble bath outfitted with a rain shower. Guests also get to try True Waldorf Service where they are paired with a concierge to act as an ambassador during their stay.
At the four restaurants, executive chef Kalych Padro Alvarado dishes up creative sips and bites, like sushi (at Ginger Sushi Bar & Lounge), French brasserie-style food all day long featuring local ingredients (BRIO Brasserie); poolside snacks and cocktails (Bungalow Terrace & Pool Bar); and aperitifs (The Peacock Alley Lobby Bar).
Luxury continues at the hotel's 2,000-square-foot Waldorf Astoria Spa with five treatment rooms and Babor products, as well as a 2,000-square-foot fitness center, and an outdoor swimming pool decorated with gold tiles.
Rates at Waldorf Astoria Panama start at $169 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Best Oktoberfests
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- $139 & up -- San Diego 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 35% OffSheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
- $990 & up -- Ireland: 4-City Vacation w/Air & Rental CarGreat Value Vacations
- $629 & up -- Weeklong Bermuda Cruises incl. ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $131-$175 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand