Waldorf Astoria Hotel Opens in Panama
Wild and rugged Panama welcomed the opening of Waldorf Astoria Panama this month with a swanky spa and four restaurants.
This is the first Waldorf Astoria property in Latin America and it is located in Panama City's Calle Uruguay, an entertainment district that's a 15-minute drive from Tocumen International Airport, 20 minutes from the Panama Canal, and two blocks from the city center. Also: "Restaurant Row" is right outside the hotel's door.
With 130 rooms and suites, plus residences, the design at Waldorf Astoria Panama is striking, with all of it imagined by ba-house/KNF in Miami. Timeless elegance is the theme, reflected in high ceilings, exotic woods, and lots of glass and crystals. That luxury extends to each room where there is a high-definition flat-screen TV, WiFi, alarm clock with MP3-player connection, and a spacious marble bath outfitted with a rain shower. Guests also get to try True Waldorf Service where they are paired with a concierge to act as an ambassador during their stay.
At the four restaurants, executive chef Kalych Padro Alvarado dishes up creative sips and bites, like sushi (at Ginger Sushi Bar & Lounge), French brasserie-style food all day long featuring local ingredients (BRIO Brasserie); poolside snacks and cocktails (Bungalow Terrace & Pool Bar); and aperitifs (The Peacock Alley Lobby Bar).
Luxury continues at the hotel's 2,000-square-foot Waldorf Astoria Spa with five treatment rooms and Babor products, as well as a 2,000-square-foot fitness center, and an outdoor swimming pool decorated with gold tiles.
Rates at Waldorf Astoria Panama start at $169 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7-Nt. Trip w/Amazon Tour & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $599 & up -- Western Caribbean 7-Nt. Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $629 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Inclusive Jamaica Trip, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $897* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $208-- Miami: New Luxury South Beach Hotel, Reg. $449The Redbury, South Beach