Waldorf Astoria Hotel Opens in Panama
Wild and rugged Panama welcomed the opening of Waldorf Astoria Panama this month with a swanky spa and four restaurants.
This is the first Waldorf Astoria property in Latin America and it is located in Panama City's Calle Uruguay, an entertainment district that's a 15-minute drive from Tocumen International Airport, 20 minutes from the Panama Canal, and two blocks from the city center. Also: "Restaurant Row" is right outside the hotel's door.
With 130 rooms and suites, plus residences, the design at Waldorf Astoria Panama is striking, with all of it imagined by ba-house/KNF in Miami. Timeless elegance is the theme, reflected in high ceilings, exotic woods, and lots of glass and crystals. That luxury extends to each room where there is a high-definition flat-screen TV, WiFi, alarm clock with MP3-player connection, and a spacious marble bath outfitted with a rain shower. Guests also get to try True Waldorf Service where they are paired with a concierge to act as an ambassador during their stay.
At the four restaurants, executive chef Kalych Padro Alvarado dishes up creative sips and bites, like sushi (at Ginger Sushi Bar & Lounge), French brasserie-style food all day long featuring local ingredients (BRIO Brasserie); poolside snacks and cocktails (Bungalow Terrace & Pool Bar); and aperitifs (The Peacock Alley Lobby Bar).
Luxury continues at the hotel's 2,000-square-foot Waldorf Astoria Spa with five treatment rooms and Babor products, as well as a 2,000-square-foot fitness center, and an outdoor swimming pool decorated with gold tiles.
Rates at Waldorf Astoria Panama start at $169 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1100* & up -- Fly to Chile from Across the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $1778 & up -- Peru & Machu Picchu 7-Nt. Trip w/Air & TourTripMasters.com
- $2441 & up -- France: Burgundy & Provence River CruiseAvalon Waterways
- $129-$169 -- Colorado: Aspen 4-Star Hotel, Reg. $399Westin Snowmass Resort
- $856 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Forest 6-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1528 & up -- Escorted 7-Nt. Sicily Splendors Land-Only TourApple Vacations