W Verbier Debuts in Switzerland
Opened December 1, W Verbier—a lavish new ski-themed hotel tucked into the Swiss Alps—represents a new direction for the widely popular hipster-oriented brand, which, up until now, has only been found in cities and tropical retreats.
The new destination in Verbier, Switzerland, is blessed with plenty of sun and a southwesterly exposure at 5,000 feet, making it a highly sought-after ski region that plays host to popular events like the Verbier Festival and Xtreme Verbier. Staying at W Verbier means easy ski-in, ski-out access thanks to a gondola, set right next to the hotel. Accommodations are divided among four chalets on the Place Blanche.
Guests at the 123-room W Verbier also have access to fun perks like tunes spun and curated by a resident DJ, and food designed by Michelin-starred chef Sergi Arola. Also on the property are W's signature AWAY Spa, and Carve, a nightspot with dancing and cocktails, plus an edgy tunnel entrance. Like other W Hotels, the Living Room is a place for cocktails and small bites served in a laid-back atmosphere, only here there is a terrace boasting postcard-worthy views. Finally, restaurant Arola dishes out in Swiss specialties and a glam ambiance.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of W Verbier
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- $2865 & up -- Australia 6-City Land Only Trip incl. UluruSpringboard Vacations
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 50%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $2299 -- Windstar: Luxury 7-Nt. Italy, France & Spain CruiseWindstar Cruises
- $1995 & up -- Australia 12-Night, 4-City Land Only EscapeSpringboard Vacations
- $110 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 65%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $579 & up -- Punta Cana: 4-Star, All-Inclusive Escape w/AirCheapCaribbean.com