W Verbier Debuts in Switzerland
Opened December 1, W Verbier—a lavish new ski-themed hotel tucked into the Swiss Alps—represents a new direction for the widely popular hipster-oriented brand, which, up until now, has only been found in cities and tropical retreats.
The new destination in Verbier, Switzerland, is blessed with plenty of sun and a southwesterly exposure at 5,000 feet, making it a highly sought-after ski region that plays host to popular events like the Verbier Festival and Xtreme Verbier. Staying at W Verbier means easy ski-in, ski-out access thanks to a gondola, set right next to the hotel. Accommodations are divided among four chalets on the Place Blanche.
Guests at the 123-room W Verbier also have access to fun perks like tunes spun and curated by a resident DJ, and food designed by Michelin-starred chef Sergi Arola. Also on the property are W's signature AWAY Spa, and Carve, a nightspot with dancing and cocktails, plus an edgy tunnel entrance. Like other W Hotels, the Living Room is a place for cocktails and small bites served in a laid-back atmosphere, only here there is a terrace boasting postcard-worthy views. Finally, restaurant Arola dishes out in Swiss specialties and a glam ambiance.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of W Verbier
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $594* & up -- Fly to Ecuador from the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $1329 & up -- Paris & Rome 6-Nts w/Air, Hotels & TransferEuropeanDestinations.com
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort