W Verbier Debuts in Switzerland
Opened December 1, W Verbier—a lavish new ski-themed hotel tucked into the Swiss Alps—represents a new direction for the widely popular hipster-oriented brand, which, up until now, has only been found in cities and tropical retreats.
The new destination in Verbier, Switzerland, is blessed with plenty of sun and a southwesterly exposure at 5,000 feet, making it a highly sought-after ski region that plays host to popular events like the Verbier Festival and Xtreme Verbier. Staying at W Verbier means easy ski-in, ski-out access thanks to a gondola, set right next to the hotel. Accommodations are divided among four chalets on the Place Blanche.
Guests at the 123-room W Verbier also have access to fun perks like tunes spun and curated by a resident DJ, and food designed by Michelin-starred chef Sergi Arola. Also on the property are W's signature AWAY Spa, and Carve, a nightspot with dancing and cocktails, plus an edgy tunnel entrance. Like other W Hotels, the Living Room is a place for cocktails and small bites served in a laid-back atmosphere, only here there is a terrace boasting postcard-worthy views. Finally, restaurant Arola dishes out in Swiss specialties and a glam ambiance.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of W Verbier
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $728 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Beach 5-Nts. w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $219 -- Royal Caribbean Cruise Sale; 3rd & 4th Guests FreeCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $75 & up -- Ocean View Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffThe Caribbean Resort & Villas
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $1139 & up -- Rome, Athens & Istanbul 7-Nts. w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com