W Verbier Debuts in Switzerland
Opened December 1, W Verbier—a lavish new ski-themed hotel tucked into the Swiss Alps—represents a new direction for the widely popular hipster-oriented brand, which, up until now, has only been found in cities and tropical retreats.
The new destination in Verbier, Switzerland, is blessed with plenty of sun and a southwesterly exposure at 5,000 feet, making it a highly sought-after ski region that plays host to popular events like the Verbier Festival and Xtreme Verbier. Staying at W Verbier means easy ski-in, ski-out access thanks to a gondola, set right next to the hotel. Accommodations are divided among four chalets on the Place Blanche.
Guests at the 123-room W Verbier also have access to fun perks like tunes spun and curated by a resident DJ, and food designed by Michelin-starred chef Sergi Arola. Also on the property are W's signature AWAY Spa, and Carve, a nightspot with dancing and cocktails, plus an edgy tunnel entrance. Like other W Hotels, the Living Room is a place for cocktails and small bites served in a laid-back atmosphere, only here there is a terrace boasting postcard-worthy views. Finally, restaurant Arola dishes out in Swiss specialties and a glam ambiance.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of W Verbier
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $743* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $599 -- Balcony on New Norwegian Ship w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1275 & up -- Rome, Florence & Venice 7 Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1199 -- 14-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1474 -- Oceanview: 12-Nt. Europe Cruise w/Tips & All DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $8.50 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com