W Hotel Opens in Guangzhou, China
The first W Hotels property in mainland China is about to open at the end of the month. W Guangzhou is on track to open March 31, bringing the region a mix of historical charm and cutting-edge design. With teahouses and curio shops (selling famed items like jade, ivory carvings, Canton enamel pottery, embroidery, and wood sculptures) just outside of the 317-room hotel in Guangzhou’s Pearl River New Town section, guests can experience the utmost in luxury while still soaking up Chinese history and culture. Two museums are within three miles from W Guangzhou: Guangzhou Museum of Art and the Guangzhou Museum.
Inside the glitzy high-rise hotel are a heated indoor pool with poolside cocktails, a cigar lounge featuring a Jetsons-like interior, a slate-gray cocktail lounge, and five destinations for drinking and dining. The restaurants include the Yan Yu Chinese Restaurant (Cantonise dining in a space awash in silvers, creams and golds), The Kitchen Table (modern-bistro fare), Woobar Lounge (breakfast in the morning, followed by cocktails and DJ music), Fei Ultralounge (a nightclub), and I By Inagiku (Japanese cuisine for lunch and dinner). Entering the lobby is akin to gazing into prisms, with half walls constructed of glass blocks, plus a 19-meters tall waterfall art installation.
Each room boasts a calming look with an all-white color scheme along with dark-wood flooring. Signature W treats like a Munchie Box stocked with snacks, pillow menu, and Bliss® bath amenities are also available to guests, along with WiFi (for a fee; no-cost to use in the lobby), rainforest shower, an espresso machine, a BlueRay player, iPod docking machine, Bose Surround Sound System, and satellite-television channels. Throughout the hotel are other custom W amenities, including AWAY® Spa and SWEAT® Fitness Center.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of W Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1374 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $1129 & up -- 8-Nt. Oahu & Kauai Island Hopping Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1555 & up -- London: 4-Night Getaway w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, $1000 OffOceania Cruises
- $1899 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 8-Nt., 4-City Trip w/AirAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $489 & up -- Weeklong Bahamas Cruise to Nassau & FreeportCarnival Cruise Lines