W Hotel Opens in Guangzhou, China
The first W Hotels property in mainland China is about to open at the end of the month. W Guangzhou is on track to open March 31, bringing the region a mix of historical charm and cutting-edge design. With teahouses and curio shops (selling famed items like jade, ivory carvings, Canton enamel pottery, embroidery, and wood sculptures) just outside of the 317-room hotel in Guangzhou’s Pearl River New Town section, guests can experience the utmost in luxury while still soaking up Chinese history and culture. Two museums are within three miles from W Guangzhou: Guangzhou Museum of Art and the Guangzhou Museum.
Inside the glitzy high-rise hotel are a heated indoor pool with poolside cocktails, a cigar lounge featuring a Jetsons-like interior, a slate-gray cocktail lounge, and five destinations for drinking and dining. The restaurants include the Yan Yu Chinese Restaurant (Cantonise dining in a space awash in silvers, creams and golds), The Kitchen Table (modern-bistro fare), Woobar Lounge (breakfast in the morning, followed by cocktails and DJ music), Fei Ultralounge (a nightclub), and I By Inagiku (Japanese cuisine for lunch and dinner). Entering the lobby is akin to gazing into prisms, with half walls constructed of glass blocks, plus a 19-meters tall waterfall art installation.
Each room boasts a calming look with an all-white color scheme along with dark-wood flooring. Signature W treats like a Munchie Box stocked with snacks, pillow menu, and Bliss® bath amenities are also available to guests, along with WiFi (for a fee; no-cost to use in the lobby), rainforest shower, an espresso machine, a BlueRay player, iPod docking machine, Bose Surround Sound System, and satellite-television channels. Throughout the hotel are other custom W amenities, including AWAY® Spa and SWEAT® Fitness Center.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of W Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $919* & up -- Flights to South Africa on Sale (R/T w/Tax)South African Airways
- $898* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $789 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier BayNorwegian Cruise Line
- $4999 -- Balcony: Alaska Luxury Cruise w/Air & All ToursRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona
- $165 & up -- Suite: 4.5-Star Puerto Rico Beachfront ResortBookIt.com