Virgin Atlantic Announces In-Flight Comedy, Live Music
Sometimes it's tough to find the humor in air travel. Virgin Atlantic is trying to change that.
Sir Richard Branson recently gave the green light to a plan featuring live performances from comedians and musicians during flights on Little Red, the airline's domestic carrier in the United Kingdom.
Passengers en route from Heathrow to Edinburgh or Manchester will now see "Little Red LIVE" performers in the cramped aisles where flight attendants once held court. Comedians will be on-board through August, while acoustic music is slated for September.
The talent will be culled from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, the world's largest arts festival. As for the details about exactly how your in-flight sleep/reading/work time will be interrupted, the airline is keeping mum.
"Acts will be announced soon through Virgin Atlantic's Facebook and Twitter channels, but flight details will remain a secret—making this a truly one-of-a-kind experience," announced the airline in a statement.
All in all, this could be either a brilliant idea, or a terrible one. Regardless, all affected flights are just 90 minutes or less—so escape, if necessary, won't be too far away.
Besides, nothing could out-weird Branson's previous attempt at in-flight entertainment: the eccentric CEO donned stewardess apparel (and makeup!) and served drinks to passengers on a flight from Perth, Australia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, while Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" blasted over the plane's announcement system.
Previous odd Virgin amenities include an airborne art gallery for Virgin Atlantic's premium customers, an in-flight "dating service" for Virgin America, and ice cubes in the shape of Branson's face.
Photo credits: All photos courtesy of Virgin Atlantic
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $129 & up -- Orlando: 4-Star Resort Inside Disney, Reg. $339BookIt.com
- $599 & up -- Cancun: 3-Nt. All-Incl. Vacation w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2999 -- 10-Night Award-Winning Asia Cruise, Save $1000Windstar Cruises
- $267 -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, 30% OffWestin Puntacana Resort & Club
- $549 & up -- 7-Day Cruise to Adriatic Sea & Italy w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $170 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel incl. Weekends, 40% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel