Virgin Atlantic Announces In-Flight Comedy, Live Music
Sometimes it's tough to find the humor in air travel. Virgin Atlantic is trying to change that.
Sir Richard Branson recently gave the green light to a plan featuring live performances from comedians and musicians during flights on Little Red, the airline's domestic carrier in the United Kingdom.
Passengers en route from Heathrow to Edinburgh or Manchester will now see "Little Red LIVE" performers in the cramped aisles where flight attendants once held court. Comedians will be on-board through August, while acoustic music is slated for September.
The talent will be culled from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, the world's largest arts festival. As for the details about exactly how your in-flight sleep/reading/work time will be interrupted, the airline is keeping mum.
"Acts will be announced soon through Virgin Atlantic's Facebook and Twitter channels, but flight details will remain a secret—making this a truly one-of-a-kind experience," announced the airline in a statement.
All in all, this could be either a brilliant idea, or a terrible one. Regardless, all affected flights are just 90 minutes or less—so escape, if necessary, won't be too far away.
Besides, nothing could out-weird Branson's previous attempt at in-flight entertainment: the eccentric CEO donned stewardess apparel (and makeup!) and served drinks to passengers on a flight from Perth, Australia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, while Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" blasted over the plane's announcement system.
Previous odd Virgin amenities include an airborne art gallery for Virgin Atlantic's premium customers, an in-flight "dating service" for Virgin America, and ice cubes in the shape of Branson's face.
Photo credits: All photos courtesy of Virgin Atlantic
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $80 & up -- Maryland: New Top-Rated Wellness Hotel, 20% OffEVEN Hotel Rockville
- $259 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Baja Mexico Cruise w/UpgradeCarnival Cruise Line
- $39 & up -- Hotels in Mesa, Arizona up to 45% offVisit Mesa
- $152 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan HotelSheraton Old San Juan
- $161 & up -- 4-Star Westin NYC-Area Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $739 & up -- Alaska: Weeklong Cruises incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Line