Viceroy New York Opens in NYC
Dovetailing with the allure of autumn in New York City—such as taking in fall foliage in Central Park, or from above from the High Line's newest stretch—a brand-new luxury-minded hotel chain's first property here offers yet another reason to head to the Big Apple this fall.
Located in Midtown (on West 57th Street), the 240-room Viceroy New York opened its doors yesterday, October 9. It marks the debut of the sixth Viceroy property in the U.S., joining others in Miami; Snowmass, Colorado; and California (Beverly Hills, Palm Springs, and Santa Monica). A stay at this glam hotel—touting a very modern design scheme by Roman and Williams (known for its work at the recently opened High Line Hotel and Ace Hotel) that includes zinc, steel, stone, leather, black bricks, and exotic woods—means access to a rooftop lounge (The Roof) come winter, managed by Gerber Group (they also manage the Living Room, Whiskey Park, and Whiskey Blue establishments at some W properties). On the menu will be small plates from Kingside (Viceroy New York's restaurant) and cocktails highlighting seasonal ingredients plucked from local markets.
Each room features a work space, custom-designed Sferra bed linens, a Beats by Dr. Dre sound system, full-size Neil George spa products, a 40-inch flat-screen television, free Wi-Fi, an illy coffeemaker and—in some units—a view of Central Park, 57th Street, or the hotel's courtyard. There are five categories for guestrooms (plus suites). Guests can also utilize a 24-hour fitness center.
The Kingside restaurant—accessible from the street—is also managed by Gerber Group, with chef Marc Murphy at the helm. As the owner of New York City-based Benchmarc Restaurants, Murphy developed menus at Ditch Plains and Landmarc. Expect New American cuisine paired with craft cocktails, regional beers, and a globally inspired wine list.
There's also a focus on adopting a green-minded lifestyle while staying at the Viceroy New York. Upon check-in, guests are handed a list featuring eco-friendly restaurants and services in the neighborhood. Toiletries are provided in refillable bottles, reducing the amount of plastic headed to landfills. And, as much as possible, culinary ingredients are sourced from within the region, too.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Viceroy New York
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1537 & up -- Travel Deals from Virgin Australia, 45% OffVirgin Australia
- $2345* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1936 & up -- 7-Nt. Escorted Peru & Machu Picchu Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1417 & up -- 6-Nt. Ireland Bed & Breakfast Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $3599 -- Suite: 10-Nt. Award-Winning Asia Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $203-$243 -- Carlsbad 4-Star Resort Near Legoland, 40% OffSheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa