USTA Survey Links Travel with Happy Relationships
It's February, and there's one big holiday on everyone's mind—and no, it's not Presidents day. Strike up a little romance with the help of some input from travel experts.
A new study commissioned by the U.S. Travel Association commissioned shows a link between travel and more satisfying relationships. The research, released yesterday, claims that couples who travel together are altogether happier with their love lives than couples who do not.
The survey, which was conducted between November and December of last year, asked 1,100 couples to describe their feelings on traveling together. Not only did 72 percent of surveyed couples agree that travel inspires romance, but nearly two-thirds felt that taking even a short trip was four times more likely to cause sparks than exchanging gifts, big or small. Traveling couples also reported a higher rate of satisfaction with their sex lives, compared to their non-traveling counterparts. A majority of the traveling couples said that having distraction-free time to be close was one of the main reasons to take a trip.
Results also pointed to the fact that all couples can benefit from traveling together, whether they've been married for 30 years or are still dating. New couples valued the chance to share new experiences with each other, while more established couples saw trips as a time to relax and reconnect.
So this Valentine's Day, think about planning a trip together instead of handing over a gift—your relationship will thank you for it.
Photo credit: Couple in Paris via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $169 & up -- Seattle Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $129 & up -- Ends 4/18: Cruise Sale w/Up to $200 CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $2199 & up -- World's Best Luxury Sailings up to $1000 OffWindstar Cruises
- $99 & up -- British Virgin Islands Hotels up to 45% OffBritish Virgin Islands Tourism
- $135 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago