US Airports Reach Record Wait Times
Welcome to the United States; we hope you enjoy our lines.
That's the message being sent to more and more visitors according to a recent report. Published by the US Travel Association, the study suggests that wait times in the immigration and customs halls at airports around the country are going up, threatening the tourism market as travelers look elsewhere to avoid the hassles. The average wait times during peak arrivals windows were approximately 30 minutes, not an unreasonable amount of time. But there were a number of instances where the wait was 4+ hours, a much less pleasant situation for travelers.
The Association notes that the current government sequestration and associated budget cuts may be contributing to the issue. Those cuts limit the number of officers working the immigration lines and also limit their overtime hours. That adds up to an ugly situation for many arriving passengers. Still, the sequestration issues didn't kick in until early 2013 and some of the data in the report—4.5 hour waits at JFK in December 2012, for example—were from prior to that time. Having fewer officers working isn't helping the situation, but it also isn't the only problem.
The delays at entry are putting the US tourism industry at risk, according to the industry trade group. It says that nearly $100 billion in annual economic activity is at risk, along with more than half a million jobs associated with tourism. Some groups, including aviation services company Arinc, see technology as a large part of the potential solution to the wait times. That might help, though recent changes to digitize some US immigration forms don't seem to have had a significant change on the wait times so far.
Photo credit: Waiting in airport via Dreamstime.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$179 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $215 & up -- Florida: 4-Star Hollywood Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Diplomat
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort
- $179-$197 -- NYC: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown HotelSheraton New York Tribeca
- $1267 & up -- Costa Rica: 4-City, 7-Night Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations