United Airlines Offers Bonus Miles to Members Who Aid Typhoon Relief
On the heels of last Friday's devastating storm (Typhoon Haiyan) that wiped out entire communities in the Philippines and resulted in a shocking death toll of a reported 10,000 people, United Airlines announced in an email this morning a special relief-aid opportunity exclusive to MileagePlus members.
Beginning today, a financial donation to two partnering organizations—the American Red Cross and Operation USA—is rewarded with a gift of up to 1,000 bonus award miles. For example, a MileagePlus member's donation of between $50 and $99 is reciprocated with 250 bonus miles; a $100-$249 donation means 500 miles; and a donation of $250 or more results in 1,000 extra miles. This offer expires on November 30, 2013. To be eligible for the offer, donations must be made through Crowdrise.
To complete the campaign, United Airlines has pledged up to $100,000 in matching donations.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: via Dreamstime.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to New Orleans Now
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- 10 Things to Do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit in 2015
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris