Two Top Chefs Host Luxury Cruises this Summer
Superstar chefs and restaurateurs Nobu Matsuhisa and Alan Wong have a lot in common. They're both known for taking a genre of cooking to new heights. In the case of Nobu, as his known around the world, he's a master at fusing traditional Japanese dishes with South American ingredients. Wong is known as one of the cofounders of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine. Both own a multitude of restaurants around the world and both will set sail this July with luxury cruise lines to share their cooking expertise.
Nobu joins Crystal Cruises on July 13 for Crystal Symphony's 12-night "Bounties of the Black Sea" Rome to Istanbul itinerary. He's no stranger to Crystal Cruises. He runs the Silk Road restaurant and Sushi Bar on both ships in the fleet. For this particular cruise, Nobu is hosting one of the line's 2013 Ultimate Vintage Room Dinners. About a dozen lucky guests will attend this exclusive seven-course meal with rare wine and champagne pairings in the ship's private Vintage Room. The menu is sure to stun, as will the $1,000 per plate price tag.
The celebrity chef will also hold autograph sessions, cooking classes, and larger omakase (chef's selection) dinners through the sailing. In addition to the culinary offerings, the cruise will call upon Rome, Sorrento, and Sicily in Italy; Constanta, Romania; Yalta and Odessa in the Ukraine, Sochi, Russia; and Istanbul, Turkey. Crystal Symphony will overnight in both Odessa and Istanbul. The all-inclusive cruise fare starts at $5,510 per person.
Chef Alan Wong heads to the other side of the world this July when he boards m/s Paul Gauguin in Tahiti on July 27 for a 7-night Tahiti and Society Islands voyage with Paul Gauguin Cruises. You'll learn about the Hawaiian Regional Cuisine movement—as well as Wong's own marriage of Asian and French cooking—through a series of lectures, question-and-answer sessions, and hands-on cooking demonstrations.
Wong, along with 11 other Hawaiian chefs, developed Hawaiian Regional Cuisine in the early 1990s with the help of local farmers, fishermen, and ranchers. That culinary movement put Hawaii on the map as a place to sample ethnically inspired dishes made with the freshest, local ingredients. You can sample some of Chef Wong's HRC creations in Honolulu at Alan Wong's and The Pineapple Room, and at Amasia at the Grand Wailea Resort in Maui.
This cruise begins and ends in Papeete, Tahiti and calls upon the islands of Raiatea, Taha'a, Bora Bora (an overnight), and Moorea. All-inclusive fares begin at $4,895 per person.
Andrea M. Rotondo is a freelance writer based in New York City. She covers cruise news and luxury travel trends for Fodors.com and writes for a variety of outlets, including her website Luxury Travel Mavens. Follow her on Twitter: @luxtravelmavens.
Photo credit: Photo of Crystal Symphony in Istanbul courtesy of Crystal Cruises
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1647 & up -- Dublin & Giant's Causeway Trip w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1561* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $75 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into October, O/WVirgin America
- $127-$144 -- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $139* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand