Top Winery Restaurants Around the World
Visiting wineries around the world is an all-time luxury. And more often than not a visit to one includes more than just getting to taste great wine. These wineries, for example, offer stunning views and architecture as well as truly fantastic restaurants on-site that showcase local ingredients and flavors, paired, of course, with the wines made from the surrounding vineyards.
Napa Valley wineries don't offer very many dining options, but Etoile at Domaine Chandon is a notable exception. A Michelin one star restaurant, it offers seasonal California cuisine with a French influence. Each dish is artfully composed, as beautiful look at as it is delicious to eat. While the patio area overlooks the winery landscaping and a small creek, inside the restaurant resembles a wine barrel, with a distinctive curved wooden ceiling.
Insider Tip: Visit the kitchen gardens surrounding the winery and restaurant at some point during your trip.
In Portugal, wines make the journey from the Douro valley to Vila de Gaia, where they are blended and stored at "lodges." Barao Fladgate, the restaurant at Taylor Fladgate's port lodge, is at the perfect vantage point for admiring the river and city of Oporto. The menu leans towards traditional seasonal Portuguese cuisine and seafood, and not surprisingly, the wine list is impressive.
Insider Tip: The main draw here, besides the fantastic wine and delicious Portuguese cuisine, is the view. Maximize your landscape ogling by dining at lunchtime or right at sunset.
Marques de Riscal
One of the oldest wineries in the Basque Rioja Alavesa region, Marques de Riscal has bottles that date back to 1862 in their cellars. But the winery has always been forward thinking and that's abundantly clear when you see the Frank Gehry-designed hotel and restaurant at the winery, rising out of what appears to be an ancient village. Made from blocks of sandstone and sheets of titanium that reflect the colors of the vineyards, the restaurant offers lovely views from a terrace and traditional dishes with modern elements that are the hallmark of avant-garde Spanish cuisine.
Insider Tip: Pop into their on-site shop and you'll find some great bargains on bottles of wine to take home with you.
Urban at O'Fournier
Founded by a Spanish family, Urban at O'Fournier is a bold and futuristic winery set in the stark Mendoza mountain landscape was designed by the Argentinean architects, Bórmida & Yanzón. A favorite amongst food and wine writers, the restaurant's menus highlight gourmet Argentinean and Mediterranean-Spanish cuisines, reflecting the two cultures that coexist at the winery.
Insider Tip: Make sure you arrive with enough time to take a tour of the property. And definitely save room for dessert.
Overture at Hidden Valley
South Africa's Overture at Hidden Valley offers great views of the Stellenbosch Valley and Table Mountain, but also bold and unpretentious food that pairs well with their honest and straight forward wines. It's a relaxed and casual restaurant and service, but exceptional at the same time. Top chef Bertus Basson offers evolving 4-, 5-, or 8-course menus, and though plates are colorfully and artfully arranged, there's no foam or fuss. Enjoy local and seasonal ingredients in dishes like korrel konfyt, springbok, and Ficksburger cheese.
Insider's Tip: The restaurant is open Wednesday through Sunday for lunch, and Thursday through Saturday only for dinner. Be sure to reserve well ahead of time, as those days fill up quickly!
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
If you want to visit wineries, I recommend <a href="http://napa-valley-wineries.com/where-to-eat-in-napa-valley/">Napa Valley wineries</a>. There are also restaurants in Napa. Here is a list that I found from a website. There are Italian, Mexican, American, French and among others. So, its a good place for vacation and pleasure.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1397 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 7-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $1299 -- Ireland: 6-Night Trip w/B&Bs & 5-Star CastleAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $1119 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Greek Isles Cruise, Save $330Royal Caribbean
- $499 & up -- 5-Night La Romana All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $216 & up -- Miami Beach Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $4599 -- Suite: 15-Night Luxury Indian Ocean CruiseWindstar Cruises