Tips from the Jet Set: Vanity Bag Must-Haves
From the desk of Style Guru and Jet Setter, Pepita Diamand
Being truly jet set means being set to jet at a moment's notice. That means having compact versions of your essentials on standby at all times, including a few special items that are a treat to use when you're away from home. Keep these vanity bag must-haves in a flat Le Sportsac pouch that can slip easily into your valise, or look for a clear toiletry bag that you can take through security if you like to carry-on.
The Basics, Decanted
Although most jet-set-worthy hotels offer nice bathroom amenities, I prefer to travel with my own shampoo, conditioner, and body moisturizer. A 50ml bottle of Aveda Shampure lasts 4-5 washes for shoulder-length hair. Double that by pouring your own into a 100ml Snap Cap Cylinder Bottle from Muji, which offers a vast line of travel bottles and mini jars that you can fill with your favorite potions. Avoid confusing your Nair with your eye cream (nearly happened to me once—not pleasant) with completely personalized labels from Sticker You.
Get it Nailed
Didn't have time for a pedicure before you left? Good thing you have Mavala cuticle oil in your bag; a good dose around nails and on rough skin will help feet look presentable if sandals are suddenly involved. A secret stash of neutral speckle-effect polish like Some Enchanted Evening by Deborah Lippman is another nail saver; the sequined effect looks fun in the sun and festive in winter while cleverly camouflaging chips and breaks.
Having been stuck in taxis, shuttles, and on a plane for a million hours, your skin may decide to rebel with a giant pimple, guaranteed to figure prominently on every holiday pic you take. Manage it with a little tube Khiel's Blue Herbal Spot Treatment and a matte multi-purpose concealer like one by Nars, great for dark circles too. If travel-weary eyes seem to be carrying their own bags, you'll be happy to have Talika's Eye Therapy Patches along for the trip.
The Scent of a Human
Always keep a spritz of your favorite fragrance in your kit, in an easy-to-fill Travalo travel spray. A toothbrush goes without saying, but instead of your usual toothpaste, include a 25ml tube of Marvis in Ginger Mint or Jasmin and give your breath an exotic upgrade while you're away. On the other hand, stick with a spare stick of your trusted regular antiperspirant: Foreign brands can be confusing and you don't want to spend your trip worrying about your whiff.
Avoid Stubble Trouble
Men (and ladies) should always have a razor and a spare blade in your ever-ready vanity set with a tiny bottle of shave oil from King of Shaves. Shave oils are highly effective and won't take up valuable space. But if a shaving cream is your absolute preference, be grateful that Khiel's finally released a travel-sized tube of their Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream; with it's little propeller plane logo, it couldn't be more set to jet if it tried.
Collage 1: left, Courtesy of Aveda Corp.; top left center, Courtesy of StickerYou Inc.; bottom left center, Courtesy of MUJI U.S.A. LIMITED; center, Courtesy of LippmannCollection.com; top right, Courtesy of LeSportsac.com; bottom right, Courtesy of Mavala.co.uk. Collage 2: top left, Courtesy of KIEHLâ€™S SINCE 1851.; left center, Courtesy of BigelowChemists.com; bottom left, Courtesy of The King of Shaves Company Ltd.; center, Courtesy of NARS Cosmetics.; top right, Courtesy of BeautyBay.com Ltd.; right center, Courtesy of KIEHLâ€™S SINCE 1851.; bottom right, Courtesy of TRAVALO
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- America's Best Oktoberfests
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- $170 & up -- Savannah 4-Diamond Forsyth Park Hotel, 45% OffMansion on Forsyth Park
- $99 & up -- Sonoma County Hotel Sale, up to 50% OffSonoma County Tourism
- $95-$115 -- Downtown St. Louis Hotel, 60% OffSheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites
- $109-$149 -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 60% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $152 & up -- New Mexico 4-Star Resort, Save 60%El Monte Sagrado Living Resort and Spa
- $60 & up -- South Myrtle Beach Oceanview RoomSurfside Beach Resort