Thousands of Cancellations Due to Midwest Storm
Welcome to round three of winter storm delays over the last few weeks. This time the snow is falling on the Windy City. Chicago's two airports, both major hubs for connections across the country and beyond, are being forced to cancel hundreds of flights today as conditions worsen. Flight tracking sources are reporting over 1,800 flights have already been cancelled in the area, and more are to come as major cities deal with the storm's fallout. Flying out of the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis airports will also prove difficult.
Though the storm is expected to let up by Wednesday in the Midwest, it will most likely continue to wreak havoc on the East Coast through the end of the week. The coastal storm will lay a few inches of snow on the DC area, and while New York and Philadelphia will see less precipitation, the wind will be high enough there to cause delays and cancellations.
What to do if you're planning to fly in the next few days? Stay updated on your flight's status on the airline's site (and sign up for mobile updates for immediate notification), or check the news and trends on FlightAware or FlightStats. If your flight is actually cancelled or delayed, visit the Fodor's Air Travel Forum for tips from Fodorites who've been there before.
Photo credit: Flight cancellations via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $856* & up -- Europe Spring Fare Sale from the U.S. (R/T)Air France
- $215 & up -- Florida: 4-Star Hollywood Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Diplomat
- $149-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Night Vacation w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego
- $449 & up -- Bermuda Weeklong Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line