Thousands of Cancellations Due to Midwest Storm
Welcome to round three of winter storm delays over the last few weeks. This time the snow is falling on the Windy City. Chicago's two airports, both major hubs for connections across the country and beyond, are being forced to cancel hundreds of flights today as conditions worsen. Flight tracking sources are reporting over 1,800 flights have already been cancelled in the area, and more are to come as major cities deal with the storm's fallout. Flying out of the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis airports will also prove difficult.
Though the storm is expected to let up by Wednesday in the Midwest, it will most likely continue to wreak havoc on the East Coast through the end of the week. The coastal storm will lay a few inches of snow on the DC area, and while New York and Philadelphia will see less precipitation, the wind will be high enough there to cause delays and cancellations.
What to do if you're planning to fly in the next few days? Stay updated on your flight's status on the airline's site (and sign up for mobile updates for immediate notification), or check the news and trends on FlightAware or FlightStats. If your flight is actually cancelled or delayed, visit the Fodor's Air Travel Forum for tips from Fodorites who've been there before.
Photo credit: Flight cancellations via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays