Thompson Chicago Blows Into the Windy City
Tucked into the tony Gold Coast neighborhood, the 247-room Thompson Chicago (formerly the Sutton Place Hotel) opened its doors in early October as the first in a string of luxury boutique hotels slated to debut in Chicago over the next six months (The Godfrey Hotel and Kinzie Hotel are both set to open in early 2014).
In each room, guests will find plush perks like rain showerheads and REN bath amenities, along with views over Lake Michigan or the city skyline. British designer Tara Bernerd was tapped to develop an interior decor concept over the six room categories (of which three are suite-sized), showcasing clean lines and furnishings that remind of Mid-century Modern with a palette of neutral hues like grays, tans, and creams. Bold colors and lots of texture are also hallmarks in Bernerd's design scheme.
Guests also have access to complimentary luxury car service and free Wi-Fi, as well as a 1,000-square-foot fitness center. (Plus, Thompson Chicago is a pet-friendly property for those with furry guests in tow.)
Beyond the sleek, wood-paneled lobby is hotel eatery Nico Osteria, which began dishing out Italian-themed seafood entrées on December 2. Menus at this newest eatery from the One Off Hospitality Group—which is also behind highly acclaimed Chicago restaurants Blackbird, The Violet Hour, and The Publican—are led by James Beard Award Winner for Outstanding Chef Paul Kahan, who earned the title earlier this year while cooking at Blackbird. At Salone Nico, a wine list focused on small producers from Italy and Greece is offered alongside aperitifs and cocktails.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Thompson Hotel Chicago
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1199 -- Alaska 2015 Cruises w/Balcony, All Drinks & MoreCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1349 & up -- London & Paris 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $119 & up -- D.C. Area Hotel Sale thru Summer, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $1599 -- Peru & Machu Picchu 7-Night Trip w/Air, Save $580IB Travelin
- $183* & up -- Coast-to-Coast Fares into 2015, One WayVirgin America
- $1647 & up -- Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com