The Epicurean Hotel Opens in Tampa
Tampa has a new culinary hotspot where foodies can eat, stay, and play. Part of the Autograph Collection by Marriott, the 137-room Epicurean Hotel in Tampa's hip SoHo neighborhood opened in late December. The property takes its culinary focus seriously with a collection of impressive noshing and imbibing options within the hotel, including culinary classes, a wine shop, and dining and drinking options. The shining star is Élevage restaurant where executive chef Chad Johnson—a 2012 James Beard Award semi-finalist for Best Chef South—puts a new spin on classic Southern foods.
Elsewhere on the property, wine lovers can buy bottles for deckside sipping at Bern’s Fine Wines & Spirits, or take culinary classes—topics ranging from tea blending to sustainable seafood—at the Epicurean Theatre. Craft cocktails are served at Edge Social Drinkery, a rooftop bar, with small plates and cheese boards. Decadent indulgences like chocolates, macarons and pastries are available at the patisserie Chocolate Pi.
Each room features free WiFi, a 42-inch television (so you don’t miss an episode of “Top Chef”) and rainshower heads in the bathroom. There are five room categories, including one with a private outdoor terrace (a plum spot for picnicking) and another with a wet bar and a seating area. The food-and-wine theme extends to the hotel’s design with wine crates crafted into a desk in the lobby and butcher-block cabinetry in guest rooms.
Spa Evangeline expects to open in February. Food-focused produect—like Cauldalie’s wine-themed line from Bordeaux, France, or FarmHouse Fresh’s Texas-made moisturizers and scrubs culled from fruits and vegetables—are folded into treatments.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Amy Pezzicara-Pezz, Epicurean.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1195* & up -- Summer Fare Sale to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1599 -- Peru & Machu Picchu 7-Night Trip w/Air, Save $580IB Travelin
- $2999 -- 7-Night Luxury Cruise to Tahiti on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $2011* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
- $146 -- Wisconsin: Water Park Resort Suite thru SummerTimber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark