News Stories Tagged washington dc
Whether you're into painting, prints, photography, or fashion, major American museums from Los Angeles to Prouts Neck, Maine, are hosting exceptional art shows worth traveling for this year. We've picked the eight best, on now through the end of 2012, so you can plan ahead for art-filled weekend getaways from coast to coast.
Even if you've already made vacation plans for upcoming MLK weekend, there are plenty of events, performances, and more taking place on and around the January 16 holiday that are well worth adding to your schedule. From a free concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., to an annual parade and park party in Los Angeles, here are your best bets for activities in cities across the country.
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation. They're often great for gathering information on topics such as what to expect when you land, where to find top hotels and the best under-the-radar restaurants, and when to book ahead for must-do activities. Essentially, it's all about the experience of what worked—and perhaps even more importantly, what didn't.
Evening tea with cookies is complimentary at the Bethesda Court Hotel in Washington, D.C., as is limousine service for guests.
Learn where to catch a free shuttle bus to a performance at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
On performance days at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C., a free shuttle bus runs between the Center and the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop.
On the last day of 2011, we thought looking back at our favorite slideshow photos would inspire travel in the year to come. Collectively, we journeyed to dozens of destinations, and our snapshots span the globe—from Italy's beautiful gardens along the Amalfi Coast, to Switzerland's charming countryside, to Hawaii's incredible natural wonders.
One of our Washington, D.C., correspondents rounds up the best the city has to offer before the year is out, from a brand-new influx of restaurants to blockbuster museum shows to the capital's best holiday traditions. Be sure to check out these top picks if you're heading to D.C. in the next couple of weeks.
At the prestigious Henley Park Hotel in Washington, DC, afternoon tea featuring Scottish smoked salmon finger sandwiches and house-made butter and dried fruit scones, is served at 4 p.m. in the handsome Wilkes room.
Reservations to visit the archives are highly recommended: without one, you could wait up to an hour to get in
The familiar blue sightseeing buses that have run on streets in the nation's capital for more than four decades will end service tomorrow.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $299 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $499 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Trip, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $424 & up -- Carnival 5-Day Bahamas Cruise w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines
- $123 & up -- Cancun Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $2499 -- Luxury Yacht: French Riviera 9-Night Cruise w/HotelWindstar Cruises