News Stories Tagged virginia
Winter may be for snow sports, and summer for swimming, but there is no shortage of outdoor activities for adventurous travelers come fall. Read on for nine great ways to "fall" into the great outdoors.
Washington, D.C., is a city of trees, with some 300 tree species spread out in its vicinity. Each fall, the parade of foliage colors here wows visitors and residents alike.
The quaint and charming town of Middleburg, Virginia, is now home to a luxe resort and spa with swanky amenities, locally-sourced cuisine, and an enticing spa.
Virginia's Shenandoah Valley is the perfect spot for an autumnal East Coast getaway, whether for a weekend or more. From farm-to-table cuisine to outdoor adventures, there's plenty to do.
Road trips are a favorite summer pastime and there are endless drives to take in the US. But there are a few that are truly iconic, passing stunning scenes and charming towns. Here are the 4 you just can't miss.
From breweries and distilleries to homemade bourbon cake and classic crispy fried chicken, you will not go hungry (or thirtsy) in Virginia. Drive an hour (or less) from its major cities and you're in foodie heaven.
Picture this: a city slicker pulls into Floyd, Virginia, (a one-stoplight town) to hit the dance floor at the Country Store for the weekly live bluegrass jam. Utter joy ensues.
What goes together better than oysters, wine, and kayaks? Apparently nothing, as our intrepid adventurer finds out when she hits the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
Both Lincoln (Abe) and Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis' movie) had Richmond as a stomping ground, albeit in different centuries. The historic city should be your next weekend away...here's why.
Thomas Jefferson's Monticello is an iconic American house with an incredibly rich history. And Jon Meacham, author of Thomas Jefferson out this month, thinks there are at least 7 great reasons to go...now.
It's hard not to dread summer's end. That is, until you remember the technicolor season ahead. Trips like these—from California to Montana—fill the fall with fallen leaves and heaps of fun.
What could be more romantic than a fall weekend spent among the rolling green fields, sipping a winery's best vintage? With harvest season around the corner, here are the top six wine regions to visit.
We've all road tripped in four-wheeled vehicles, but what about hitting Route 66 on two wheels? Motorcycle trips are where road trips meet adventure, and these four destinations are great starting points.
Springtime is the best time at many Southern inns, bed-and-breakfasts, and hotels. This is when flowers are at their peak, and the methodical work of landscapers is thrust into the spotlight. Here are five Southern resorts where the blooms are at their best.
American history and family fun go hand-in-hand this summer in Virginia Beach, Baltimore, Boston, and other cities—all of which are hosting festivities to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. If you’re a history buff planning a trip in the coming months, consider timing it with one of these special East Coast events.
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas Jefferson. Located outside Charlottesville, Virginia, this estate offers guided tours, beautiful gardens and grounds, and two miles of hiking and biking trails.
You may want to leave I–95 at Fredericksburg and go south to Yorktown on Route 17, a narrower road with stoplights, but less congested.
At Great Falls Park outside of Washington, D.C., staff members conduct park walks year-round; the visitor-center tour and guided park walks are included in the price of admission.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
Going back to the Jamestown settlers and Jefferson's vineyards at Monticello, Virginia has some serious wine-making roots. Here are some of our favorite festivals that incorporate the state’s best wineries and unique culture.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $219 -- Hawaii: Waikiki 4-Star Beach Resort, Save 30%Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
- $75 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $1275 & up -- U.S. River Cruises w/Hotel Stay, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company
- $1199 -- 14-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $449 -- 5-Nt. Bermuda Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines