News Stories Tagged virginia
It's hard not to dread summer's end. That is, until you remember the technicolor season ahead. Trips like these—from California to Montana—fill the fall with fallen leaves and heaps of fun.
What could be more romantic than a fall weekend spent among the rolling green fields, sipping a winery's best vintage? With harvest season around the corner, here are the top six wine regions to visit.
We've all road tripped in four-wheeled vehicles, but what about hitting Route 66 on two wheels? Motorcycle trips are where road trips meet adventure, and these four destinations are great starting points.
Springtime is the best time at many Southern inns, bed-and-breakfasts, and hotels. This is when flowers are at their peak, and the methodical work of landscapers is thrust into the spotlight. Here are five Southern resorts where the blooms are at their best.
American history and family fun go hand-in-hand this summer in Virginia Beach, Baltimore, Boston, and other cities—all of which are hosting festivities to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. If you’re a history buff planning a trip in the coming months, consider timing it with one of these special East Coast events.
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas Jefferson. Located outside Charlottesville, Virginia, this estate offers guided tours, beautiful gardens and grounds, and two miles of hiking and biking trails.
You may want to leave I–95 at Fredericksburg and go south to Yorktown on Route 17, a narrower road with stoplights, but less congested.
At Great Falls Park outside of Washington, D.C., staff members conduct park walks year-round; the visitor-center tour and guided park walks are included in the price of admission.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
Going back to the Jamestown settlers and Jefferson's vineyards at Monticello, Virginia has some serious wine-making roots. Here are some of our favorite festivals that incorporate the state’s best wineries and unique culture.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $284 & up -- 3-Day Cruise to Nassau w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines
- $5199 -- Namibia 11-Night Adventure w/Air, Save $600Friendly Planet Travel
- $49 & up -- Atlantic City Hotel Sale incl. Extras & CreditsAtlantic City
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $529 & up -- 8-Day Alaska Cruise incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Lines