News Stories Tagged virginia
It's hard not to dread summer's end. That is, until you remember the technicolor season ahead. Trips like these—from California to Montana—fill the fall with fallen leaves and heaps of fun.
What could be more romantic than a fall weekend spent among the rolling green fields, sipping a winery's best vintage? With harvest season around the corner, here are the top six wine regions to visit.
We've all road tripped in four-wheeled vehicles, but what about hitting Route 66 on two wheels? Motorcycle trips are where road trips meet adventure, and these four destinations are great starting points.
Springtime is the best time at many Southern inns, bed-and-breakfasts, and hotels. This is when flowers are at their peak, and the methodical work of landscapers is thrust into the spotlight. Here are five Southern resorts where the blooms are at their best.
American history and family fun go hand-in-hand this summer in Virginia Beach, Baltimore, Boston, and other cities—all of which are hosting festivities to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of 1812. If you’re a history buff planning a trip in the coming months, consider timing it with one of these special East Coast events.
Celebrate Presidents Day today with a trip to the plantation home of our third Commander-in-Chief, Thomas Jefferson. Located outside Charlottesville, Virginia, this estate offers guided tours, beautiful gardens and grounds, and two miles of hiking and biking trails.
You may want to leave I–95 at Fredericksburg and go south to Yorktown on Route 17, a narrower road with stoplights, but less congested.
At Great Falls Park outside of Washington, D.C., staff members conduct park walks year-round; the visitor-center tour and guided park walks are included in the price of admission.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
Going back to the Jamestown settlers and Jefferson's vineyards at Monticello, Virginia has some serious wine-making roots. Here are some of our favorite festivals that incorporate the state’s best wineries and unique culture.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $899 & up -- Dreams: 4-Star Cancun Beach Retreat w/AirApple Vacations
- $1599 -- 15-Night Hawaiian Islands Cruise w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $7499 -- Luxe Cruise to Spain, Italy, Greece w/Air & DrinksRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $1205 & up -- Athens & Istanbul 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria