News Stories Tagged turkey
There is no other country on earth that is such a juxtaposition of contrasts, and there’s no time like the present to experience it for yourself. This whirlwind one-week itinerary focuses on the highlights of a fall trip to Turkey.
For women, bare arms and legs are not acceptable inside a mosque, and men should avoid wearing shorts, too. Before entering a mosque, shoes must be removed.
Buses are much faster than most trains in Turkey, and provide inexpensive service almost around the clock between all cities and towns; they’re fairly comfortable and often air-conditioned.
Mezes (small plates) are an integral part of the Turkish dining experience. Share a few as appetizers, or order a bunch and have a feast. There’ll probably be more permutations of eggplant preparation than your imagination can conceive of.
Aegean cuisine is in many ways different from Turkish food elsewhere in the country. The shared Turkish and Greek culture of the region's past, the climate and soil suitable for growing a wide range of vegetables, and the prevalence of olive trees and olive-oil production have helped the region develop a much more varied and probably healthier way of eating than elsewhere in Turkey.
Urban streets and highways are frequently jammed with vehicles operated by high-speed lunatics and drivers who constantly honk their horns. You should also avoid driving on highways after dusk, because drivers often drive without their lights on, and vehicles are known to stop in the roadway in complete darkness. In the countryside, watch out for drivers passing on a curve or at the top of a hill, and beware of carts—very difficult to see at night—and motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic while carrying entire families.
Turkey is an informal country, so you’ll be fine if you leave the fancy clothes at home; the general rule is the smaller the town, the more casual and, at the same time, the more conservative the dress.
Istanbul has been luring travelers for thousands of years but today there are more reasons than ever to visit this incredible city. From museums to mosques, bazaars to boutiques, there is no other place on earth that matches Istanbul when it comes to contrasting old and new, East and West, secular and religious.
Tap water is heavily chlorinated and supposedly safe to drink in cities and at resorts. It's best to play it safe if you can, however, and stick to bottled water. The same measures are usually not taken in rural areas or in eastern Turkey, so definitely stear clear of tap water in these places...
They're much faster than most trains and provide inexpensive service almost around the clock between all cities and towns; they're fairly comfortable and often air-conditioned. Express buses between major cities are significantly faster and more comfortable than local buses.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $189-$199 -- Weekends at Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star HotelThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $185-$265 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% OffWestin St. Francis
- $599 & up -- Western Mediterranean 7-Day Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1267 & up -- Costa Rica: 4-City, 7-Night Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1609 -- Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Four Season From OrlandoAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $130 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 45%The Westin Chicago River North