News Stories Tagged tokyo
Japanese travel agency KIE/Kintetsu International, in partnership with Japan Airlines, is now offering travelers a multi-day package that includes the first ever non-stop flights from Boston to Tokyo.
March's earthquake and resulting tsunami caused massive destruction along the coast of north-eastern Honshu but had a relatively modest impact on the rest of the country. Thanks to our team of Japan updaters, here's a summary of the affected areas and what you need to know about the ongoing rebuilding and repair.
Many airlines have announced low-to-no-fee travel waivers, re-booking, or cancellation options in the wake of Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami. Some tickets can only be changed for a limited time, and can't be rebooked online, so it's best to act now. Plus, direct from our forums, travelers share their thoughts on their upcoming Japan trips.
At 2:46pm local time, an 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck Japan. "The Ring of Fire" is unfortunately living up to its name. Combined with the recent earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, the devastation in Japan proves that the Pacific Rim is where many of the world's most deadly and unpredictable seismic events occur. While there's a lot we still don't know about the Japan earthquake, here are a few things we do know.
Japan's vending machines, ubiquitous and indicative of the technology-rich culture, aren't exactly healthful—offering sugar-laden coffee, colas, and even alcohol. However, new machines are geared toward the health-conscious. Dole installed banana dispensers around Shibuya Station in Tokyo, targeting hurried commuters with no time for breakfast. The fruit is lightly refrigerated and gently lowered to the opening to avoid bruising. Single bananas and bunches are available.
Japan's warm fall days—without summer's humidity or winter's dampness—and dazzling foliage are reason enough to schedule an autumn visit. But October and November are also the perfect time to experience Japanese culture. Athletic events and festivals abound. Here are a few of the top fall events to check out if you're in the Land of the Rising Sun.
Fodor's "Show Us Your Japan" photo contest runs through March 16th and based on the entries that we've received so far, it's apparent that our members enjoyed a diverse range of dining experiences. Here are just a few of the food-related images that have been submitted so far.... Submit your photo for a chance to win travel bags from Timbuk2, or view the contest slideshow.... "This was our sons first visit to Japan to see his grandparents. We stayed at local traditional bed and breakfast that required us to dress in Kimono's. We ate a style of dinner called Kaiseki. Kaiseki is a type of art form that balances the taste, texture, appearance, and colors of food. We stayed here for about a week before taking off exploring. A wonderful exposure for my son who is half Japanese, we had a blast."
Submitted by bray99
From the Forums: Lodging in Hakone?...
"Walking through a market in Tokyo--items are displayed so artistically."
Submitted by cynstalker
Exploring Tokyo: Feasting...
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers