News Stories Tagged thailand
Discovering the national cuisine of a distant land is the highlight of any foodies' trip. Here is a roundup of some of our not-to-be-missed food experiences in Thailand.
Ask for your dishes mai phet ("not spicy"). Thai food can get really spicy—know what you're in for. (Phet means spicy.) Skip the nam pla if you’re on a low-sodium diet. This fish sauce is used instead of salt, and is added just as commonly.
It's rarely provided in older buildings or in rural areas, where you still may find squat toilets. Often a bucket is placed under a tap next to the toilet; you are expected to fill the bucket with water and flush out the toilet manually. Note that Western-style facilities are usually available in the main tourist areas and are the norm in hotels.
Ask for your dishes mai phet ("not spicy"). Thai food can get really spicy—know what you're in for. (Phet means spicy.) Skip the nam pla if you're on a low-sodium diet. This fish sauce is used instead of salt, and is added just as commonly.
Unless they're eating Chinese dishes, Thais use a fork and a spoon.
If you're visiting Thailand for the first time, it could easily overwhelm you: it is has a diverse ecological landscape to navigate, many eons of complex culture and history to understand, and a highly evolved tourism industry to serve travelers of every kind. So what should you focus on when planning your trip? Here's what the experienced local writers suggested in Fodor's Thailand, one of our newest full-color titles.
Along with the universal emotions of love, hurt, and happiness shared by all cultures around the globe, there is another thing that ties us together: it's our bizarre love of smelly foods (how did you guess?). From fermented herring to vegetables that smell worse than boiling Brussels sprouts, we've gone in search of the world's stinkiest—yet surprisingly tasty—delicacies.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $129-$169 -- Colorado: Aspen 4-Star Hotel, Reg. $399Westin Snowmass Resort
- $1006 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star Casino Resort Vacation w/AirfareApple Vacations
- $135 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $299 & up -- 5-Day Cruise to Nassau & Freeport w/OceanviewCarnival Cruise Lines
- $899 -- Riviera Maya 7-Night All-Incl. Beachfront VacationApple Vacations
- $899 & up -- Ends 4/18: Hawaii 7-Nt. Cruise w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line