News Stories Tagged tennessee
You head home for Thanksgiving every year—why not get the family together somewhere new? From beachy Kiawah Island to colonial Mystic, these escapes might just inspire new family traditions.
Close your eyes and picture the rustic romance of waking up to a day of foraging, cooking classes, horseback riding, and lazing by the pool. Now read on to find our favorite farm stays around the world.
No matter which way the road takes you, this country is filled with quirky, historic, and hilarious roadside stops. From circus museums to a giant T-Rex watching you golf, here are some of our favorites.
To get to Bonnaroo in Tennessee, TV host and comedian Chris Gethard is walking across the country, relying only on the kindness of strangers. The rest of us will probably just keep relying on airplanes.
Springtime is the best time at many Southern inns, bed-and-breakfasts, and hotels. This is when flowers are at their peak, and the methodical work of landscapers is thrust into the spotlight. Here are five Southern resorts where the blooms are at their best.
Every state boasts at least one distinctive road that tells a story about that place and its people. Most can be driven from start to finish in a day or two. Other famous historic roads actually still cross broad swatches of the country and can take weeks to travel. Here are a few of our favorites for great multi-state road trips.
It's amazing how much you can see from your car. Whether you're in Maine, where you can be at the top of Cadillac Mountain when the sun's rays first hit the United States, or driving along the world's highest continuously-paved highway in the Rocky Mountains, the incredible accessibility of the American wilderness will blow you away. Here are some of our favorite U.S. national park drives.
Located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and along the Tennessee River, Knoxville is the third largest city in Tennessee after Nashville and Memphis. It's a great place for foodies, offering everything from high-end French cuisine to New South locavore dining. You can also visit local farms and shop at farmers' markets.
This month marks the 145th anniversary of Robert E. Lee's surrender to Ulysses S. Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse. Yet you don't have to be a history buff to appreciate the significance of these seminal venues; in ways large and small, they helped determine the course of U.S. history.
Revel in the beauty of spring with the brilliant display of wildflowers at Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Before summer gets going and the leaf cover shadows the ground the plants on the forest floor steal the show. Flowers like trillium, lady slipper orchids, flame azalea, violets, jack-in-the-pulpit, and many others are at their brightly-colored peak in mid- to late- April.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $849 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays