News Stories Tagged switzerland
Hotels and resorts often transform into winter wonderlands to attract guests during the chilly season, but because decorations in the lobby only go so far, many properties have hopped on the pop-up ice skating rink trend. Whether staying at swanky urban spot in New York, or a mountain getaway in Vail, we've rounded up our favorites from around the world.
On the last day of 2011, we thought looking back at our favorite slideshow photos would inspire travel in the year to come. Collectively, we journeyed to dozens of destinations, and our snapshots span the globe—from Italy's beautiful gardens along the Amalfi Coast, to Switzerland's charming countryside, to Hawaii's incredible natural wonders.
Whether it's a loop ride on a steam train or a practical means for getting from Amsterdam to Brussels, Europe is full of train routes with amazing scenery. Thanks to the amazing Fodor's community, we've compiled some great train trips by country.
Some national high-speed train systems, which see trains traveling at an average speed of 125 mph, have begun to link up to form the nucleus of a pan-European system. On a long journey you still have to change trains a couple of times, as the national railways jealously guard their prerogatives. France, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany are among the nations offering this service. Remember that this service requires reservations, and doesn't come as cheaply as conventional rail service.
Though Switzerland's mountain resorts are glorious destinations year-round, there's something special about a snowy retreat. In addition to some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the world, there are a wonderland of other snow-inspired activities—plus spas, shopping, and local food and wine to warm you. Here are some tips to plan your Swiss mountain resort trip, whatever your budget.
Slopes? Scene? Whatever your priorities, there's a Switzerland mountain resort for you, with dramatic Alpine views and charming villages guaranteed. And now is the perfect time to plan your winter wonderland trip to take advantage of early-booking discounts.
Denmark, Great Britain, Sweden, and Switzerland, although part of the European Union, are not part of the monetary union, and therefore each uses its local currency.
Bring a warm sweater. Even in July and August the evening air grows chilly in the mountains. And bring a hat or sunscreen, as the atmosphere is thinner at high altitudes. Glaciers can be blinding in the sun, so be sure to bring sunglasses, especially for high-altitude excursions. Good walking shoes or hiking boots are a must, whether you’re tackling medieval cobblestones or mountain trails.
Limit strenuous excursions on the first day at extra-high-altitude resorts, those at 5,248 feet and above. Adults with heart problems may want to avoid all excursions above 6,560 feet.
With the launch of Fodor's To Europe!, we're giving away 5 copies each week of a popular Random House book set in Europe. This week's giveaway is Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst. To enter, read the details below.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things Not to Do at Walt Disney World
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- 6 Reasons to Visit Hamburg Now
- 5 Reasons to Visit Asheville This Fall
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $169 -- FL: St. Augustine 4-Diamond Luxe Hotel, Save 55%Casa Monica Hotel
- $49 & up -- Orlando Hotels near Disney on Sale, Half OffBookIt.com
- $219 & up -- 4-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $76 & up -- Jamaica All-Incl. Resort w/Waterpark, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $125 & up -- Tucson, AZ: 4-Diamond Resort, Save 60%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $1198* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand